Betta Fish Forum banner

For those living with parents - Getting rid of stuff?

1K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
So I want to change my gravel, perhaps over the summer. I have white gravel, with those gems (assorted colors of clear/orange) around the tank. White is very pretty, although I would like black. I'm not worried about cycling or whatnot, I'll be keeping the gravel in cups for a while just for the sake of paranoia.

What I am TERRIFIED about it ... What to do with the white gravel?
Throw it out?
What?
What a horrid waste. LOL. It's really to the point where "I'll leave the gravel, and make the next tank black." I... absolutely hate the idea of throwing away gravel, and I even have EXTRA white gravel.

And I'm even more terrified about the parents... "We bought you this gravel with our money! You're wasting our money! What's wrong with you! No more fish!!" Etc, etc, etc, etc. Haha...

What are your ideas/takes on this?
Keep the gravel? Do something with the gravel? If so, how do I tell the parents? Etc. :)

#3 ·
I get tired of my tank colors so quickly it's not even funny. I take out my gravel and clean it thoroughly, letting it soak in a bucket of water to remove all the debris. Then I dry it (blowdryer!) and put it in a Zip Block bag for the next time I want to change my color again ^^

I don't know how much gravel is where you live, but for me its about $5 per 5 gallons of gravel, so my parents don't mind buying me new gravel. Well my mom gets irritated but she'll end up buying it anyways xD I just tell her that I'll reuse the old gravel later so it's not a waste of money. Or you could use your own! My mom's been making me use my own money frequently...

Geeze my mom's just like your parents tho :p Nag nag nag at every little thing, esp with fish. It's like.. just let me have my hobby!! Gosh >.>

#5 · (Edited)
lmao i am SOOOO glad those days are over! WOW

Anyways.....i saw a tank with two layers of gravel.....you could play with it....see if u like white on the bottom with a top layer of black? Would be hard to keep that way tho when u vacuum the tank.

I say keep it! You nnnnnneeeeeeevvvvveeerrr know! U might have another tank or two in the future u could use it for! ;) ;)

#6 ·
My mother doesn't care. I can be like "Mom I need this." And she is like "Okay, which pet store do we need to go to?"

#25 ·
I am. SO. Jealous of you right now. Whenever I need something I have to go through this cycle of begging, explaining WHY I need it, justifying my existence, the fish's existence, the meaning of life, solving differential equations, proving that without this thing the earth will collapse, etc., etc.

#7 ·
I really don't have this problem, but I just suggest you keep your old gravel and pay for the new gravel.

I pay for EVERY single penny of my fish stuff. So, if I need it, it's up to me to make some money and pay for it. :) Maybe if your short on money, ask your parents if you can do some extra work around the house/yard and get paid for it. :)

#8 · (Edited)
I wouldn't throw the white gravel out though.

Oh, I just thought of something! You could mix some of the black and white? I have a mixture of blue and black in one of my tanks. Just a thought.

#10 ·
Lol, Brancasterr, I already used that!! Aw, too late, haha...

I pay 95% of my fish stuff (excluding the tank itself). This will include buying the new gravel, so money isn't the issue. It's the issue of ... "WHY?" Well, mom and dad, just because...just because. Haha.

There's no way I could have top black, and bottom white. My gravel vac would destroy it! Haha. I'm INTERESTED in black/white, but I'm not sure how it will look.

Gravel here is cheap. $4 for 5lbs, so it's a pretty good cheap price.

TheJadeBetta, I cannot wait until I am no longer victim to the parents, lol :)

And Starbright - I know right? "Why so many water changes? Why you do this? Why that? Do we NEED this? We've spent so much!" Etc, etc, etc. (Seriously, I paid 95% of it! Lol )

#12 ·
I don't have quite that problem, but completely understand. My mom is starting to not like the idea of how much I want to spend on a betta. And she said 'Why don't you just get a bowl.' I just told her its my money I'll do what I want with it. Hopefully she lets me lol though she knows I really want it, so I think I shouldnt have to much problem, so yeah use your own money if you have it. I think it would make it much easier. That and I like the idea of mixing gravel, I was actually considering doing that with my tank when I get it XD

#13 ·
And I'm even more terrified about the parents... "We bought you this gravel with our money! You're wasting our money! What's wrong with you! No more fish!!" Etc, etc, etc, etc. Haha...
Well, you could always earn more mony and say, "Mom, Dad I have money of my own! Now I can pay you back if you'll please buy it!

Basicly, they buy, you pay the money back to them. :)

#15 ·
I would put it in a bucket and rinse it well, then spread it out in a pan or plastic tarp/wrap and let it dry in the sun/garage, and then store it.

You might want it later for another tank or bowl, you could also use it for potted plants/crafts.

If you don't want it, save it til yor parents forget then chunk it :)

I would doubt anyone would want to buy a small amount of used gravel, but 25-50 pounds maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
Why not just trade?

For instance, I'm short on cash but I think I'm going to need some Jungle Fungus Eliminator and Maracyn for the rescues (and Demetri who has fungal fin rot >.<).. so this weekend I'm going to mow the lawn, completely clean all the litter boxes, and do whatever else my mom wants in exchange for buying me the medicine (and a heater I hope).

Even when my parents are short on cash I can usually get a little by coming home and doing odd jobs.

#17 ·
I'm 19, live on campus, but only about 30 minutes from home due to a lack of car (I go home every weekend), and my mom will buy me whatever I need... My dad didn't understand my "obsession" ("it's just a fish" mentality), until my mother reminded him that a grandFISH is cheaper than a grandCHILD. :) Perhaps using that as a point would work for you?

#19 ·
Me? Talk about grandchildren in front of the parents? I'm 15, that will bring me murder, LOL. When there's anything involving children/grandchildren, they get way out of line. They're those kind of parents... no boys! Haha. (But I have male bettas. Ooh, rebellious? Lol ;) )

Kiku - It's just a fish, it's just a fish... it's always the same thing over and over again! Lol

1f2f, if you mean trade by doing work for the parents, my parents only want me to study... they don't want me to get a job and "be distracted from my schoolwork." And my grades are pretty decent, the important part is to not let it drop, lol. I'll definitely find something though ... hmmmmm... man, my parents are crazy. lol! (shhhh)

Herbwin, I probably will use it later for something. I still have two 1/2gallons from a year or so ago (ahhh, the beginning of the betta hobby) that look like I can have fun with them. I have about 7-8 lbs of gravel in my 5 gallon tank. I am planning to get another tank over the summer... so I'll definitely try mixing the gravel once I get black gravel.

Bloo, they just flat out don't want me spending money! haha

a123, My mom is only content with my tank because she thinks it looks pretty. Hahaha, and my dad finds it soothing. But "another one? NO." Lol.

Starbright, my christmas money died on me long, long ago, LOL. My birthday has yet to come so I have to wait on that...

#20 ·
With my hamster stuff (not fish stuff... yet, but that'll probably change soon ;) ) When I get something, then after a while decide I don't need/want it, I typically keep it in storage, and after a while, it does come in handy.

You could say something like "Mom, my fish is super stressed by the white gravel, and black gravel will relieve the stress, becuase betta fish in the wild are used to darker places. If I don't get black gravel, he'll become stressed and sick, and it'll cost even more to get the medicines and all that." ... I don't really know if it'd work, sometimes things like that would work with my mom, and technically, it's almost true. XD

#21 ·
Oh I tried that before. She laughed, but felt bad (she thought she insulted me) and gave me 5 dollars, lol :) Loss/Win? It's true though, however they seem to be fine. (But only "seem"...)

If I ever do decide to change to black, I'll probably keep the gravel in storage... I'll choose a weekend when they're gone and do it! But who knows when that'll be? I guess I could... flat out lie and say "the gravel was contaminated." Is anyone against lying to the parental units? :p

#22 ·
You wouldn't be lying if you contaminated it on purpose! Although I don't condone lying to the parentals I seemed to do it all the time wen I lived at home. "Who ate all the cereal!" "Little sister!" , "Who broke this window!" "The dog did it!"

Bahaha. Not really bad lies, just little white ones to avoid trouble. xD

#26 ·
As one of those parental units I will tell you what the problem with lying to them is:

You think they are annoying now...but if they find out you lied to them just to get what you want they will become twice as annoying when they don't trust when you are telling the truth.

It's really not worth it, especially over something like gravel. :)

#28 ·
Haha I knew it, someone has to say it sooner or later! But how will they ever find out? They are 0% involved in the fish hobby aside from... a few funds here and there. Haha

Talking about ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is a lost cause. I shudder at the thought of explaining it (my mother doesn't speak perfect english and my father has other things to be bothered with)....!!

Haha brancasterr, I remember when I broke the wall! Me and my brother opened the door WAY too quickly and too strong, so the doorknob went through the wall... My dad asks "Who did it?!" And we both go "S/HE DID!". It didn't work. LOL. Guess we shoulda had a dog then, huh? Lol ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.