Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 
speeddemonbk

Betta jumped out

One of my betta's decided he was going to jump ship. Apparently he jumped out of the bowl, flopped across the kitchen counter, and fell on to the floor. I don't know how long he was there until I found him, but he was black and having a rough time breathing. I quickly scooped him up and got him back in his bowl. He turned back to his normal red and irradesent color. I found him in time, but he is acting like he might have gotten hurt when he hit the floor. Is there anything I should do for him? (besides cover the top. Crazy fish. )
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonbk View Post
One of my betta's decided he was going to jump ship. Apparently he jumped out of the bowl, flopped across the kitchen counter, and fell on to the floor. I don't know how long he was there until I found him, but he was black and having a rough time breathing. I quickly scooped him up and got him back in his bowl. He turned back to his normal red and irradesent color. I found him in time, but he is acting like he might have gotten hurt when he hit the floor. Is there anything I should do for him? (besides cover the top. Crazy fish. )
Make sure his temp is up where it should be and maybe just let him have some "chill" time in a quiet area.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #3 
speeddemonbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Make sure his temp is up where it should be and maybe just let him have some "chill" time in a quiet area.
Thanks. That's what I figured and was doing.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 
sainthogan

My girl did that too a little over 2 months ago. She jumped out of a tiny hole and fell about 4 feet to the ground. It took her several days to get back to normal. Keep his water clean and warm and keep a close eye on him. You could use a very, very small amount of aquarium salt to help heal any external injuries and help his fins heal, but remember to only use it for a maximum of 10 days. It might help to keep the lights dim to reduce his stress levels.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #5 
speeddemonbk

Well, so far he's acting relatively normal, just a bit dazed or bruised. But then if anyone fell off a cliff they probably wouldn't be so limber either lol
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonbk View Post
Well, so far he's acting relatively normal, just a bit dazed or bruised. But then if anyone fell off a cliff they probably wouldn't be so limber either lol
Hehe, nope. You're very lucky you were able to find him. I remember when my Grandfather moved his like 100gallon or something tank and we found little tetra bones.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #7 
speeddemonbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Hehe, nope. You're very lucky you were able to find him. I remember when my Grandfather moved his like 100gallon or something tank and we found little tetra bones.
Oh dear.

I wasn't even aiming to go to the kitchen, I just had forgotten to feed my hermit crabs so I ended up out there. Then I saw black tape on the floor...thought nothing of it other than I needed to pick it up...then was like wait I don't have any black tape! He was so dark I couldn't tell who he was. My bettas line the counter to my open kitchen, so usually when I cook they are plastered towards where I am working on the counter. He was doing that so I'm assuming he's just fine. I need a TV show, Cooking with the Fish. They make sure I'm not cooking fish I guess lol.