Betta Fish Forum banner

Pop-Eye

766 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LennonJohnX 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Most common cause is from poor water quality and very rare cases of nitrogen supersaturation, nutritional deficiencies, injury or tumor.
Often popeye can be the first sign of a bacterial infection and soon the symptom of dropsy may show up.

A natural treatment is Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.
Then maintaining quality water with frequent water changes.
The epsom salt can help with symptoms by decreasing edema/swelling and the antibacterial/fungal properties, however, if no improvement within 5-7 days or he starts to get worse you may want to add a broad spectrum antibiotic, I don't use OTC medication so I can't advise on uses.

#5 ·
I've successfully treated pop-eye with Jungle Fungus Clear for 5 days. However your tank is much too small to use any OTC medication. I believe your tank is .5 gallons and most OTC meds are for uses in 10 gallons (I use 1/2 the dose in a 5 gallon hospital tank).

#6 ·
I am going to get a new and larger tank tomorrow. I will start the treatment for pop eye then.
Thank you very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.