Betta Fish Forum banner

My teeny Walmart rescue!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TRISHIESfishie 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted most of this in the discussion forum but about an hour ago he started posing (now he's hiding again) now I have pictures! There a bunch because he is tiny so it's hard to get a good look at him. Please forgive the waterspots. Until they make a windex for fish, I am stuck with them. This is my teeny weeny's (not his name, just his size) story.

Anyway I went into Walmart just to get a filter pad, which of course they did not have. Then I looked at the bettas, I mean really looked. And my heart broke like it does when I have to go to the local humane society to renew my dogs' tags. They had like 15 betta "cells" stacked. I remembered reading how someon on this board unstacks them. So I started. Their water was no longer blue and all had various grossness. Some were dead and had been for awhile, some were almost dead. I felt so sad. Like at the pound I can't save them all.
And then there was one, at the very back. He was the tiniest betta I had ever seen. He was a little bluish, redish, greenish and his face was either black or very dark blue. He was a crown tail. He was swimming and very much alive. I never wanted a crown tail, I love veil tails, but there he was like a tiny kitten on a cold and rainy night. I would have never chosen a crown tail, but one had been chosen for me. I decided then and there that even though I could not choose 1 sick one to try and save (how do you choose) that I would take home the tiny crown tail and keep him from ending with the same fate as the others.
Luckily I had an extra tank at home, only 2 gal but he is so small it would be lost in anything bigger. So $65 later (fish and "stuff") I brought my new baby boy home. His tank is next to King's (my much larger vt) with about 3 inches between. They don't even seem to mind eachother. I put a folder between them at night when I can't watch them. I hope my little ct makes it. Right now he is very shy (which makes me nervous). But I will give him time.

Now picture time!

I swear he looks different from each angle.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just went to check on him and couldn't find him. He is sometimes hard to find. Then I found him! He is using his cave for the first time!!! My other betta King and he have the same cave. With King it looks like a studio apartment, with the little one it looks like a mansion! LOL!

#4 ·
good find! he is really gonna look great once his colors come in better

#7 ·
Is his cave one of those soapstone oil burners? It looks just like the one I have, that is such a neat idea!

I don't have a Betta yet but I will be getting one from Wal-Mart (nearest store to me that sells pets). It all depends on who is working on how the fish look. I've never seen them stacked, whoever designed the stands they are on didn't give them that option.

#8 ·
Is his cave one of those soapstone oil burners? It looks just like the one I have, that is such a neat idea!

I don't have a Betta yet but I will be getting one from Wal-Mart (nearest store to me that sells pets). It all depends on who is working on how the fish look. I've never seen them stacked, whoever designed the stands they are on didn't give them that option.

YEP! I bought 1 for King because the "real" fish caves in the pet dept. looked cheesy, were too big or too small. I wanted something unique. So when I got the little one I went and got another. His is more or a sand color and King's is much darker (almost blackish).

The betta "stand" at my Walmart is the same off white aluminum shelf they put everything on. Our bettas are sold right next to the giant generic aquarium with a small dust broom and safety vest tucked behind them.

#12 ·
Update. I wasn't in time. My little guy is sick. He's lethargic. He was on his side this morning, I thought he was dead. I started his treatment and immediately put him in an ep salt cup. He stays on his side. Every once in awhile he rights himself, takes a few breaths, stays righted for a few minutes. and then flips back over. Hopefully it's not too late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.