Betta Fish Forum banner

How many nerite snails can I put with my betta?

15K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  OrangeAugust 
#1 ·
I have a five gallon tank that is constantly getting plagued by algae and getting to the point where you can barely see into it. I do water changes to clean it and make it clear, but I hate taking 30 minutes to clean it. So, I was going to order this kind of a nerite snail online here: http://www.azgardens.com/p-1988-tiger-nerite-snail-algae-eating-red-tiger-lady-nerite.aspx

How many do you recommend ordering? I have one male betta in the tank, and that is all. I would like to get two so they don't get lonely and I'll have another if one dies. Are two too many though? Thanks.. and does anyone know if that's a good nerite snail?

#5 ·
Thanks guys! Glad to be a part of a forum where I can get help with stuff like this, as I'm not much of an expert myself, haha. I'll get them ordered, looking forward to seeing some of that algae gone!

Does anyone have any experience of ordering fish online? Just curious, never have before.

#6 ·
I'm not sure how many you should get...possibly just 1

BUT NOTE!!!!! Snails can reproduce can have up to 100 offspring. Just be careful :)
Snails are hermaphrodites also, so there is no way of "sexing" a snail encase someone was wondering hahaha

#9 ·
My Nerites always lay eggs but they won't hatch in freshwater. In a 5 gallon I would only do one. I have one in my ten gallon and he keeps the tank spotless. I also have them in my 20, 55 and 135. Love those guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
Are you sure they're nerite snails?

To the op: I have 2 in each of my 10g tanks, 1 in my 5.5g & 4 in my 46g. My smaller tanks have had a green algae problem, especially 2 of the 10g tanks, these little guys have really done some work since they were added about a month ago.I was fortunate to find a local breeder & I am very temped to get a few more but don't really have any place to put them. I'm almost begining to love the snails more than the fish . . . almost. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.