Betta Fish Forum banner

Cat scare.....

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jynx 
#1 ·
So I have two bettas, Pink-Z ( the pink one) and Blue-Z (the blue one.) I didn't name them, a 4 year old did, but anyway.... I have two cats as well. One leaves the fish a lone completely, but the other one sits by their two bowls and puts his paws in between the two bowls. So I've known this was going to be trouble for a long time. So finally today it happened, he knocked over the blue one's bowl and the Blue-Z went flopping all over the counter. The cat ran away quickly and I immediately grabbed Blue-Z and put him into Pink-Z's bowl until I could refill the water and such...... So now Blue-Z is back in his bowl and he seems to be doing fine.

I was wondering though, how to prevent this from happening again? Anyone have any tips on how to keep the cat away from the fish?

#4 ·
I would put them somewhere the cats cant get them. Alot of people with cats keep their bettas in their bedrooms and keep the door shut.

#5 ·
Yeah, your best bet would probably be to keep your door shut where the fish are.

#6 ·
I have 3 indoor cats...two of them could care less I have bettas. The other one is OBSESSED. He will get in my room without anyone knowing it and you will hear him screaming at them (yes my cat doesn't meow, he screams lol). I have had to just begin shutting the door so he'll leave them alone.

#8 ·
Yeah he is a HUGE cat (13-14 lbs and still getting fatteR) who screams haha. But the best way to deal with the cat is to shut the door. Otherwise they won't leave it alone if they liked it in the first place.

#9 ·
these bowls sound smallish- I would switch to large bowls or tanks with wide bases so the cats can't upset them so easily. And this is definitely something to be concerned about- when i was a little girl my cat Lulu (my current fish is named after her) killed several of my bettas just scooping them out of small bowls. I was too young to know you were supposed to cover the bowls- and well- looking after bettas was quite different 20 years ago- anyhows- your cats WILL kill and eat your fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.