Betta Fish Forum banner

My new setup!

810 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Princess Penny 
#1 ·
I just switched my betta from a .5gal vase to a 6.6gal tank, and we both love it! It's still a little bare, but I think it looks nice so far :) I have a crypt and a moss ball and I am hoping to get some more live plants for sure, I really like them, they look nice and do wonders for tanks! I have a few big seashells around my house for decoration that I'm thinking about putting in, a few river stones might look nice too.

Suggestions are welcome! Thanks for looking :)

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks everyone for the compliments and advice. I moved the heater next to the filter to see if that helps keep the temp a little higher (before it was at 76). If not, I will probably switch to an adjustable heater.

1fish2fish - ugh, I didn't check here before adding the shell :\ I rinsed it really well, do you think it is still best to remove it? Is there any way to test the water hardness? Come to think of it, our tap water is already on harder side. Is this something water conditioner will take care of, or is there something more I should be adding to the tank??

#10 ·
I would remove it.

You can test the hardness of the water by buying a liquid test for gH/kH.. these can be bought online at places like www.bigalsonline.com and www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com

Generally speaking tap water isn't going to be so hard that it affects the fish, I just wouldn't add anything to the tank that can raise the hardness like shells, certain types of rock, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.