Betta Fish Forum banner

Ralphie is moving to his 5 gallon tank today! Advice needed+

887 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jupiter 
#1 ·
Today is pet day in my house haha! Both Ralphie and my Russian Tortoise Toby are getting new, better homes (I just got my RT a few days ago!). Ralphie my betta is going in a 5 gallon aquarium. What do I need to buy with it? I'm assuming a filter and definitely a heater. Anything else?

But my biggest questions are how do I get him in there safely and how do I clean out his new tank? I can't take out all the water all the time right? Will this be easier to take care of then my one gallon? Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
Yep, you need a heater for sure. Filters aren't needed, but they are recommended! Cycling your tank makes it much easier to clean.

If you cycle your tank, you only need to do a water change once a week (which is what I do for my 10 gal, you may need to change it more frequently in a smaller tank...maybe someone else will clear that up). About 20-30% WC usually.

To get your new guy in the tank, float him around in a baggie or the cup that you bought him in for a while. I do 15-30 minutes. This lets him get used to the tempurature in the tank.

And as for other things your betta needs, a few plants and a place where he can hide will make him very happy. :)

#4 ·
Thanks. I've learned a lot from all of you. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.