Betta Fish Forum banner

vaccuming a low/floor tank?

651 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  babystarz 
#1 ·
#2 ·
unfortunately if you got that stand, I don't think you would be able to siphon the bottom one. The bucket needs to be significantly lower than the tank for you to be able to get enough suction.

#3 ·
Apparently it is possible with some innovative techniques, or it is done extremely slowly once you finally get the flow going. Here's a forum thread where I found several different ideas.

#4 ·
How low to the floor are we talking? I have a triple shelf stand and the bottom shelf is maybe two-three inches from the floor with the tank on top of that.

I have just cut the tube end of a cheap gravel siphon extremely short and I use that. The shorter the tube the stronger the suction and so I have no issue with draining a tank completely using this method.

Even tanks right on the floor can be siphoned at least partially. I always used to have tanks on the floor and did their maintenance with a regular gravel siphon. It is just usually a more slower process than if they are elevated and you can't drain the tank completely as it usually would cut out after a certain depth had been reached.

#6 ·
I don't know, probably because it has a shorter distance to go. I just found if I cut my tube shorter I get a faster flow on my lower down tanks then if I left the tube long. Could also just be like a placebo effect in which I think water is coming out faster haha.

Anyway, you should still get enough suction for water to come out of a tank on the floor with a normal sized siphon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.