Betta Fish Forum banner

Help new fish swim bladder?!?!!?

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Karebear13 
#1 ·
So I just bought my sister a new fish. He all of sudden looks very bloated it doesnt look like its dropsy. Im thinking its Swim bladder because he keeps floating on his side here is a picture to help. I have Epsom salt and I was gonna add that to the tank. But will this affect him if it is not swim bladder.

See less See more
#2 ·
If he's swimming sideways, it's probably swim bladder. I would suggest fasting him for a few days... You said he's new, so he actually might not eat the first few days anyways. So don't feed him for two days, and see how that works. Watch his tank for signs of defecation - it may be easier if you remove any substrate for the time being. If he's constipated, you'll be able to tell pretty fast, and that would be a good cause for the bloating and SBD.

If there's no improvement after two or three days, take a frozen pea (from a bag of frozen peas you would buy at the grocery store) and thaw it, then remove the skin, and feed him no more than a quarter of the inside of the pea. This does not provide nutrients, as he cannot absorb anything from the pea, it is simply like eating a block of fibre. Fibre will help to strengthen his digestive system by creating resistance (in the same way you would work out with weights to strengthen your arms), and pass what has him constipated. I personally suggest about an eighth of the inside of the pea... Definitely no more than a quarter though. A good judge, is about the size of his eye. Please DO NOT use a "cooked" pea or a fresh/unfrozen pea! The frozen pea, from a bag from the grocery store, has been blanched in the processing of it (otherwise it would not even be safe for you to eat). Since blanching can easily be done incorrectly, it is safest to make sure it is from the store, where the peas have to be blanched properly in order to guarantee food safety.

I hope this helps you out a bit! But fast him first, and let us know if he gets better, I hope he does! <3

#3 ·
Looking at that picture, I'd say he's malnourished, he looks quite thin to me. Crown tails are notorious for looking "bloated" after eating, it is just the shape of their body.

Since you said he is listing to the side and having trouble staying in a proper position, I'd start him on 1tsp/gal of epsom salt (make sure it's unscented and undyed). Most people on this site will suggest avoiding the pea method, and recommend trying frozen daphnia or brine shrimp. The safest option for feeding him would be smaller meals spread out through the day.

#4 ·
Okay so we added the salt in last night. He was sooooo bloated. He pooped a huge poop and he looked a lot better. He was still having hard time swimming. He hasnt eaten since yesterday morning (monday) Some websites said to fast for 2-3 days when they have SBD. Should we not feed him. We are going to continue adding the salt for ten days... that is what I read somewhere. He does look better now that he is in his new tank with clean water

#5 ·
Go ahead and not feed him a couple days along with the epsoms, but he does look so emaciated.. I think he looks more emaciated than bloated. When they get that thin their stomach looks more pronounced.

Is he still having problems swimming?

What did his poop look like? Hopefully just malnourished but maybe internal parasites with being that thin.

#16 ·
You mentioned it is possible he might have internal Parasite? How would I diagnose that, and what is a good treatment. I just want to know in case thanks!

#6 ·
His stomach was huge we was on his side he was so bloated. We just got him, But Im worried since he does look malnourished I dont want him to die if we don't feed him. It seems like he is swimming better but he stands in one corner most of the day.
It was big and brown. It looked pretty normal other than it just being huge.

#7 ·
Well that's good. You'd do fine to fast him a couple days along with the epsoms. Sounds like he was probably just constipated. If you keep him warm this will help as well high quality pellets like Omega One or NLS. I would avoid Hikari, especially since he seems prone to constipation already.

Let us know if his behavior improves. Keeping him in warm clean water will do wonders.

#8 ·
Yes right now he is in a tank with a heater temperature is 79 degrees. We got him Sunday. I fed him some of the Aqueon pellets that my friend let me borrow, but my other betta eats the Omega One I just didnt have them on hand with me, but that is what he will eat after a few days of fasting :)

#9 ·
How many days should I add the Epsom salt? I was going to do 100% water changes daily along with one teaspoon of Epsom salt for ten days?

#10 ·
10 days should be good. Up to 2 weeks is safe. If he doesn't look a lot better after 5 days or so or he seems to be getting worse instead of better it may be time for meds, but I wouldn't assume he needed them at this point.

#11 ·
Sounds like you're doing a good job so far! As you know many people are against feeding him a pea (because it provides no nourishment for the fish, but I explained that earlier... Also if you feed too much it can hurt him) but if you feed him that tiny portion about a week after he recovers it may help him strengthen his digestive system enough to prevent this happening again. You should always fast him one day a week once he's back to normal too btw, just because that allows him to empty himself, sort of like a human detox. (peas are like a more extreme strengthening detox if you wish to think of it in human terms, therefore should be done less often) I hope that makes sense! :) glad to hear he's doing a bit better though! :)

#12 ·
Thank you Beau I will do that. I used to give peas to my old betta it def. did help him! I will be sure to try it. And thanks for the fasting advice I will do that too :)

#13 ·
Sounds good, best of luck!

(Also, don't feed peas too often! I'd suggest max. once a month...? I don't know, I haven't had to feed mine any, the fasting and food variation appears to be enough for him.. but I always pick the food with a high fibre content... haha)

#14 ·
For him I'd say a week, but 10 days won't hurt. In fact bettas can be kept on epsom salt long term, for some with chronic swim bladder I've heard of them being kept on it for months.

I would definitely start him on the omega one pellets. I feed them to my boys and girls, and it can do wonders for "Fattening" them up. Only thing I've seen work better is frozen blood worms.

#15 ·
Im getting worried about fasting him though... I fed him Monday morning just one pellet. So he hasnt eaten since but since it looks like that petstore kept him malnourished then Im afraid to fast him.

#17 ·
Im starting to think he does have internal parasites. After the water change he was swimming around all crazily and running into the plants and "biting" them.

#20 ·
Poor thing i hope he doesn't have parasites..i am wondering why he was darting. I read it can be also from forgotten dechloringater,not enough used, dechlorinator, extreme temp changes. When you change the water make sure the temperature the same +-2-4*.
Also the sign of the internal parasites would be White, stringy or white and black poop and losing weight despite eating..

Just in case it is parasites i read on this forum that you can treat it with 1 tsp/gall Epsom Salt, combine with either JUNGLE'S Anti-Parasite pellets, Jungle's Parasite Clear fizz tabs or API General Cure. Both of those combined will treat the parasite and the bloating that comes with it.

I never had fish with internal parasites though. All that i wrote it was recommendation from someone on this forum.
Keep us update.

Good luck i hope he don't have it :(

#21 ·
I think he passed away last night. He probably was malnourished from that petstore we bought him at. He seemed fine at the petstore but then at night he started swimming lopsided. We did everything we could. We kept the temperature at 79 degrees and we accumulated him very careful. We made sure to dissolve the salt before putting it in and used dechlore. :( Is there something we did wrong or was he just too sick to nourish back to health. We only had him three days :(

#22 ·
sorry i didn't expect that he will pass so fast. You sure you didn't forget to put dechlorinator when you added Epsom salt? I have no idea he even ate on monday...so sorry. The temperature is good too. For bettas perfect temperature is 76-80*

Unfortunately it always possibilities to get sick betta from the store. I am wondering if he was already sick when you bought him. When did you buy him? When they in those little cups in the stores it difficult some times to see if they have problem. I think they swim differently in those cups then when you put them in the tank….:( But you really did what you could and I am sure he was happy to feel your love.

Also what do you mean you think that he passed..If you not sure don't throw him out make sure he is dead. One time i thought that betta is dead i almost throw him out before i realized he is alive. That betta was also sick.

#23 ·
Oh cause He was my sisters I just put him Sunday for her. She doesn't live with me but we go to the same college so we live near each other. I have been helping her with him. She said he was dead but I haven't seen him yet. Yeah Monday night he didn't look so good, so we added the epsom salt did 100% water change. People on here said he looked malnourished so I guess that petstore doesn't do a good job of feeding them properly. He died so rapidly :( I hope mine makes it now so paranoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.