Betta Fish Forum banner
2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  JailBreakLove 
#1 ·
Hello all!
So as you can tell, I'm new to BettaFish.com. The only thing I wanted for my 19th birthday was a fish, they help me with my anxiety attacks and gives me something to love :oops: . So my grandma, being the amazzing woman that she is, bought me 2 small tanks and all the fixings and took me to PetsCo to pick out 2 Betta fish. While looking around and seeing all of these lovely creatures.... I saw a display with Baby Bettas... I thought they were soooo cute and that it would be amazzing to raise a fish from a "baby" and watch it grow up and I could create a stronger bond with my little guys :) So I picked two that I thought would turn out to be different colors and went on my merry way.
Seeing as I was new to raising fish, I have been doing research NON-STOP since I got them on April21. I sadly found out that selling these babies is cruel/wrong and many don't survive... blah blah blah I'm sure you know all of the concerns.

So now comes the real part... now that you know my story and all :)
QUESTION:
How long will it take my betta's to have the long, flowing, beautiful tails?

#2 ·
welcome to the forum.

It depends on the type of betta you bought. Are they long finned or short finned? It takes about 4 months for them to develop their fins enough to look gorgeous. Another 2 to fully develop their fins. But females and short finned types won't display long flowing fins. Check out the sticky on tails and color in this section.

#3 ·
The lady at the store said that it would be a surprise. either a crown tail or a vail tail, and either male or female. Their colors are coming in (I think). I don't even know how old they were when I bought them

#4 ·
If they've survived since April, I suspect that you are doing fine by them :)

There are stickies on tail types and colorations.

As for learning if it's M/F - time will tell, but one thing to look for is a black fringe (called the "Beard") around the gills - this is normally a male. It will be especially noticable if the fish flares.

#6 ·
I feed them 2-3 times daily and give them each 4-6 pellets each... lol first time I fed them I gave them a BUNCH, lol should I slow down on how much I'm feeding them?

#9 ·
sweet, I'll start reducing it slowly so they don't freak out :)

Oh and UPDATE; JailBreak (The Darker One) flared lastnight!!!! I was cleaning both their tanks and I switched their spots so they could get a different view... and when he saw the Smiley he flared!!!!!! :-D

#12 ·
I couldn't really tell if it was a beard, it was really fast, Maybe a reaction to Smiley?

and the white one has a bit of an iridescent look to it, and some red-ish tones to it, but for the most part it's all white... and I can kind of see her innerds!!

When I got them all of them looked the same, I studied them for like 30mins and thought I saw more red in Smiley and more blue in JailBreak... looks like I was kind of right (:)

#15 ·
Thank you (:) I've been seeing you around A.LOT. on here :) maybe you could give me some tips, I'm going out and getting heaters and such for them with my next pay check :)

It will only take a few months to show thier long beautiful tails if they're males. From what I've heard, most of them are VTs. Don't be in too big of a hurry, just watch them grow- that's the fun part! :D
well I've had them for a smig over a month now, so hopefully they will start to show their true colors soon :)

#18 ·
They are doing GREAT! I posted new pictures of them yesterday :) JailBreak is DEF. a male. From what others have said he's either a HM or a HMPK.
And with Smiley, pretty sure she's a she. And from what others have seen from her (She's pretty camera shy) she's a VT.

If you could look at them both and tell me what you think their colors would be classified as... I'd be ur best friend ;P

But as for their behavior, I got them both little heaters last weekend and they are SO much more active!! And I'm pretty sure that JailBreak was building a bubble nest yesterday, haven't really checked on them too much yet today tho. I'll post pictures if he in fact did :)

#20 ·
lol I try to do what I can :) and yea, the one in my avi is my boy, JailBreak :) We named him that because when we first got him, (a) he wouldn't come out of the cup when we used the net and (b) he keeps swimming into the glass of the tank :p looked like he was trying to break out!

Smiley has a very small (now faint) line on her face that makes it look like shes smiling all the time :) my bestie and I sat there for like an hour with our faces pressed up against the glass looking at how pretty they were....

We're pretty weird :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.