Betta Fish Forum banner

Epsom salts with AQ salt?

285 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I saw a post about AQ salt being used in very low doses to help improve the quality of the water (I know this is controversial but it makes sense to me), so I use slightly less than the recommended dosage just to be on the safe side.

I have a sick betta (Garry) and I have treated him with Hardleys Peshrlmkdanoeihaoklsjkli... Don't ask me to spell it. It seems to have worked to make him better but on my other thread someone told me that it won't work for internal parasites. I was wondering if it is safe to use Epsom salts in with water treated with low dosages of AQ salt? If he still has the fit-to-burst after 1 pellet look to him at the end of the week of treatment, I will give him a week's break from medication and use Epsom salts after that.

I have another tank with a betta that looks like he might have some internal parasites, but it also has some white clouds in there as well, and I don't want to use a medication that might not work for internal parasites (I'm not that excited about putting in unnecessary medication - and externally they look fine). One of the females looks eggy and a bit stressed so I also want to know if Epsom salts will help her push out these eggs?

I use AQ salt for all three of my tanks. After doing that, all of my bettas have been more responsive and active, even Garry.

Thanks for your help. :)

Meredith.

See less See more
#2 ·
Epsom salt is good for a minor laxative but it's not going to get rid of the parasite problem if they do have them. You'll want something that kills or at least paralyzes the parasite so the fish can then push them out on their own. I recommend anything with Praziquantel in it, PraziPro is good and generally you can get that at most fish shops or at least online.

As for the white cloud that is eggy, it's not a bad thing she's got eggs so there is no need for her to "push them out", just let nature take it's course ^_^

Reactions: logisticsguy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.