Betta Fish Forum banner

Getting my Indian almond leaves today.....questions

621 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  JessikaSky 
#1 ·
My IAL's that I bought from eBay are coming today in the mail. Couple questions.

Any prep before I put them in the water?

They are A grade. I've read that it takes longer for the tannins to be released the higher the grade. How does that work with water changes. I have two 3 gallon tanks, unfiltered, and one 1 gallon, unfiltered. I change them frequently. Will that hurt the leaf and its properties?

Anything else to know about using these leaves?

#3 ·
I got them. But they're huge. Didn't realize that. It is ok to cut them in half, correct?

#6 ·
I have mine attached to a suction cup for my boys just level with the water line & over their leaf hammocks,they like sitting on their hammock under them & build bubblenests under them too.I get small & large size IAL's and some of the big ones are huge.

Yes sure you can break them in half,and just use whatever size you want.I rinse mine before adding them & change them out each week during water changes before they get too squishy.But you can leave them in till they sink and start to fall apart if you want to.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, my boy that has made bubble nests before likes it apparently because he made a nest around it. And.........my guys I've had the longest, and who I've never seen make three bubbles together, lol, made a bubble nest underneath his IAL. So I guess he likes it. (At least I'm assuming this is a bubble nest and not just the bubbles accumulating)

Attachments

#9 ·
Short answer - they make the fish feel more at home.

Longer answer - they release tannins into the water. It lowers the pH by just a tad and the tannins have slight anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial properties. It also stains the water brown and the darker water tends to make the fish (especially new fish) more comfortable as it closer simulates their natural environment. Added to that, while they're floating, it gives the fish surface cover which again makes them feel more comfortable. I don't have shrimp, but I've heard that when it breaks up and falls to the substrate, they like to nibble on it.

I've noticed that when I put it in the water, the fish at some point will get ontop of the leaf and just hang out there for a few, even though there's just barely enough water to cover the fish, they seem to enjoy it.

#12 ·
Haha! That is really cute JessikaSky :)

Reactions: JessikaSky
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.