Betta Fish Forum banner

Odd eating habits?

220 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Anne713 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've had my boy since July. I feed him morning and afternoon with a fasting day. I have noticed that some days, he will eat all that I give him and other days, he acts like he has no appetite. Is this normal behavior? I've never had a betta before but from everything I've read about everyone elses betta, they are nearly jumping for food. He isn't sick or displaying anything odd. :-?

Edit to add, I feed him 3-4 pellets in the morning and at night. Once or twice a week, he gets 2 pellets and 2 dried bloodworms (soaked) at night. One day a week he gets a treat of frozen bloodworms.

#2 ·
Hmmm... If your pellets are larger, 1 millimeter sized pellets, you might be feeding too much. Also, if your pellets are full of fillers your betta might be taking longer to digest them. What brand of pellets are you feeding him?

If you have frozen bloodworms I would get rid of the freeze dried ones, even soaked they are difficult to digest and sometimes lead to bloating.

#5 ·
I do believe so. I'm not home right now but I'm pretty positive that's what it is. I'll try cutting down to see if that helps. I keep an eye on his belly and he only gets the slight bump so I figured that was ok and he has never showed signs of being overfed/bloat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.