Betta Fish Forum banner

White fuzz on tail

4K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  Pogthefish 
#1 ·
The other day Blurp was in a fight with the female on the other side. (he is now no longer in the tank.) and I have started to notice some white fuzz on his tail. Not sure what it is exactly.

His tank size is 2.5g
temp is 76
food is bloodworms and new life
water condioner prime
water changes 1 100% and 1 50% each week

He has been in the 2 gallon for about 2 1/2 days now. I added 1 tsp of aquarium salt to help with the tears I had noticed a tiny bit of the fuzz and was hoping that it would get rid of it so far it hasn't.
He is around 3-4 years old, already isn't doing so great so I would like to stress him out the least possible. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Whats a good anti-fungal med? And can I buy it at petsmart? Also I only have a preset heater and as of right now cant afford a different one. The one that may have worked is in my babies tank right now. And I do not want to stress him/her out.

#5 ·
No its the tetra. I like it for my smaller tanks, but my larger ones not so much. But my fish dont mind the temp and are all happy. Know anyone else I could ask?

#6 ·
Don't raise the temp in the water... warm water will cause the fungus to spread/grow quicker. In fact, where you normally keep it (76) is what you are aiming for.. even down to 74. Pog, please refer to the two treatment links on the stickies up top to double check what you are recommending.. they were created by a vet and is pretty accurate on what medications to try if the initial salt treatments don't work.

Start with 1 tsp of AQ salt, daily 100% water changes, readding in the salt each time (make sure to dissolve the salt first).. I would say if by the 6th day it hasn't gotten better (or if it gets worse prior to then) you will want to stop with the AQ salt and start on medications- either Fungus Eliminator by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. One of those will do the trick.. I haven't personally used any of them, but I have recommended the Maracyn many times over the last year with good results from people who have needed to use it.

#10 · (Edited)
The fuzz is probably a true fungus - not the 'fungus' (bacterial) a lot of medications refer to in their product name. If it's true fungus, antibiotics won't help much.. you'd need a proper antifungal rather than antibiotic.

Good news is that saprolegnia (fungal fin fuzzies) can be easily cured by salt in early stages - they love to grow on dead skin, rather than living flesh like bacterial "fungus" so are probably snacking on the edges of the wounded fins.

If they return after a week or more in salt, or the fins look rotty at all, then the meds listed above for "fungus" would be a good idea as sapro also is opportunistic in eating the remains of bacterial infections. (yuck.. )

IAL is -great- for preventing and minimising true fungus in early stages, see if you can't a leaf or two to add to that salt treatment.

#12 ·
The immune system won't immediately repair itself on sensing higher temperatures. But a fungal disease (true or bacterial) loves sudden toasty warmth and perceives this a great excuse to go forth and multiply.

Better to knock it on the head, then do a slow increase in temp for the sake of a stronger immune system so as to hopefully avoid further ilness.

#14 ·
Well he is on day 5 with no change. It doesnt appear to be getting better, but its not getting worse either. I am thinking I need to dose with something else now. I dont want the salt weakening him to much in his already week state.

#15 ·
I swear these fish love to spend our money. When I left he still had fuzz on his tail. I get home and what do you know. Its gone. Guess I will just keep the meds for future.

#17 ·
Yeah, he still has a little on his top fin so hopefully it clears up. He is just really slowing down. I can tell he is fighting. I made him a little hammok so he is closer to the surface. He really likes it. While I will be sad to see him go, sometimes I just wish he would I can tell he is suffering, and just seems to sad.

#19 ·
I never dropped the temp. Its the same as it has always been. He has just slowed down. like I said in the first post he is 3-4 years old possibly even older depending on how old he was when he arrived at walmart.

#23 ·
Well he just made it into his tank after I rinsed out rocks, and ornaments. So hopefully he starts to mend. He has still been sluggish all day though.

#25 ·
He eats about 2 pellets a day. Sometimes less. I feed bloodworms twice and week and he eats those fine. He seems to have difficulty eating the pellets, that or he is just being picky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.