Betta Fish Forum banner

Help me help my cousin, please.

396 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Tress 
#1 ·
So, I posted a lot of pictures of my fish on Instagram. My younger cousin saw one awhile back, and asked for some tips on proper betta care. I happily obliged her, and things were quiet. Today, then, she messages me asking for more help. I told her what I could, and decided to turn to y'all for the rest.

She has a male CT (I don't know his name) that she rescued from her sister, who apparently put all sorts of stuff in his tank (milk, dish soap, cereal, mac & cheese powder - poor guy). I asked her to tell me everything she could think of (tank size, food brand, etc.), and while she didn't give me everything, I think I can fill in some holes from previous conversations.

My main concern is his fins. They just...no. I can't tell if he's a severe nipper, though, or if that's fin rot.

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Fish Aquatic plant Glass

Green Glass Red eared slider Transparent material

____________________________________________​

Housing
What size is the tank? .5g (he was in a 1.5g bowl...not sure why she got a new, smaller one)
What temperature is the tank? Idk. She originally messaged me because she was concerned about how cold the water was, so I told her to get a heater. She got a small Aqueon heater, and I can tell from pictures that it's doing the job (condensation on the tank).
Does the tank have a filter? No.
Does the tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is the tank heated? As of today, yes.
What tank mates does the betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food does she feed her betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellets as of today.
How often does she feed her betta fish? 1-2 times a day

Maintenance
How often does she perform a water change? She says she does it once a week. I know she needs to do it more often.
What percentage of the water does she change when she performs a water change? I'm assuming 100%.
What type of additives does she add to the water when she performs a water change? Aqua Culture conditioner tablets

Symptoms and Treatment
How has the betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are pretty ragged...
How has the betta fish's behavior changed? She sent me a video, and based on that and the pictures, the betta seems pretty lively.

She hasn't started any sort of treatment because, well, she doesn't know what to do. Like I said, I can't tell if it's nipping or fin rot, so I didn't want to tell her how to go about it either. Any help is greatly appreciated! She doesn't know much about bettas, but she is very willing to learn, and wants to help her fish! This one can be turned around!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks more like nipping, seeing as it's just kinda "here and there" and like my CT. His grew back weird and this guy looks the same.
For comparison:

But yes, she should try to move him back in the other tank, then she could do WC every other day. In the .5 she'd need daily WC. I'd get her to check if that plant is betta safe too. I know it's hard because she's not telling you everything, so just keep of a gentle pressure and don't get upset or pushy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.