Betta Fish Forum banner

New to Bettas - Questions

869 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  itskels 
#1 ·
My husband and I decided that we would like a betta a month or two ago. We went to Petco/Petsmart this past weekend to pick up our tank (5 gallon Fluval Spec) and supplies. We looked at the bettas, as we always do, and actually found one that we liked (in the past none have really stood out to us) so we brought him home as well. After talking with the most knowledgeable fish person in the store, he helped us find everything we would need and stated that he had just changed the betta water so he suggested waiting a day or two before putting him into the new aquarium. We set up our aquarium, conditioned the water, and it's now day two, so we're looking to move him into his new home. However, I have a few questions regarding our betta, his tank, and the process of putting him into his new tank:

1) Is it okay that I have never seen him flare? I have tapped the cup and tried and he just doesn't seem to care...?
2) What is the best way to introduce him into his new tank? I read that this should be done slowly, but would like detailed instructions if possible, as I don't want to do anything wrong. He is currently in his cup from the pet store.
3) The very back edge of his tail has a different color on it (blackish). We noticed this in the store, but after reading, I learned that this sounds kind of like fin rot? What does fin rot look like? Could this just be normal betta coloring?
4) We have mopani wood in his new tank and the water is a little brownish. We did soak this wood for two days, but decided to put it in lastnight after seeing less color come out. This morning our tank is brown anyway. :/ Will this hurt our betta? Should we change some of the water out or is this okay? We do have a three step filter in his new tank.
5) We tested his new tank water lastnight (before adding the mopani wood) and all was good. Should we re-test the water before starting the transfer process or will the wood not have any effect on the levels of the tank?

I am sure that I will have many more questions as we venture into owning our first betta, so I am grateful to have found this site. Thanks in advance for all help!

See less See more
#2 ·
he stated that he had just changed the betta water so he suggested waiting a day or two before putting him into the new aquarium.
Very unnecessary, but what's done is done

1) Is it okay that I have never seen him flare? I have tapped the cup and tried and he just doesn't seem to care...?
Some bettas don't flare that often and that's fine. Especially since he's in a stressful situation (being in the small cup, being moved around a lot, etc]. Tapping isn't good for him. The best way to get him to flare, once he's comfortable, is by holding a mirror up to the side of the tank

2) What is the best way to introduce him into his new tank? I read that this should be done slowly, but would like detailed instructions if possible, as I don't want to do anything wrong. He is currently in his cup from the pet store.
Float the cup in the aquarium for at least 15-30 minutes. After that, add a 1/4 cup of tank water to the cup. After 5 minutes, repeat with another 1/4 cup of tank water. Keep doing that until the cup is full, then dump about 1/2 the water in the cup into the sink. Keep doing the "wait 5 minutes, add 1/4 cup of tank water" step until the cup is full again. Then net your fishy and put him in the tank. Dump the cup water into the sink - NOT the tank.

3) The very back edge of his tail has a different color on it (blackish). We noticed this in the store, but after reading, I learned that this sounds kind of like fin rot? What does fin rot look like? Could this just be normal betta coloring?
Could be normal coloring, could be fin rot. Do you have a picture you could share? Watch it over a few days and see if it seems to be eroding or not.

4) We have mopani wood in his new tank and the water is a little brownish. We did soak this wood for two days, but decided to put it in lastnight after seeing less color come out. This morning our tank is brown anyway. :/ Will this hurt our betta? Should we change some of the water out or is this okay? We do have a three step filter in his new tank.
That's fine. It's the tannins coming from the mopani and it can take awhile (like months) to completely leech out.

5) We tested his new tank water lastnight (before adding the mopani wood) and all was good. Should we re-test the water before starting the transfer process or will the wood not have any effect on the levels of the tank?
All it might affect is the PH, and that should be minimal. You should be fine, although I wouldn't criticize someone for testing again just to be sure!

#3 ·

Get him into the tank. That cup is full of ammonia....

again get him out of that cup. What you do is you float the cup in the water until it reaches the same temperature as the tank. The you remove a smaller amount of water from the cup and add some tank water to the cup. Do this every 10 minutes for 30-45minutes. Then either net your fish and add him to the tank or dump as much as the cup water out as you can and then add him to the tank. try to add as little to none of the cup water as possible since it is very high in ammonia and adding it to the tank could cause an ammonia spike which will shock him.

We would need a photo. It could be natural color. Click go advanced, click the paper clip icon, then follow the instructions on the pop up. Fin rot will look like his fins are literally rotting away not just black.

Its the tannins in the wood. Totally fine. They are actually very good for bettas. Did you boil the wood? You really need to boil it.

The PH will be effected but bettas can tolerate any range of PH so don't worry.

Next, you said you had a filter. I highly suggest cycling your tank. Please read these links.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

Do you have a heater? Heaters are required for bettas. Petco/petsmart usually don't tell you this. If you do not have a heater, get one ASAP.

#4 ·
We do have a heater set on 80 degrees, we set it up when we did the tank. We will get him out of the cup ASAP! We did not boil the mopani wood, but did soak it in warm water for two days, changing the water daily. I took a quick phone photo of him where you can see his tail. The black coloring is on the very tip of one of his back tails. It does match his body color though, so it may be just his coloring..? His tail has turned a much brighter red in the time that we have had him and he is very active.

Attachments

#6 ·
1) It is perfectly ok for him not to flare. He's still adjusting to traveling around in a tiny cup. Also, the conditions in the cup are not the best, so he probably isn't feeling 100%. It's also ok if he never flares. My late male, Fizz, rarely ever flared in the 2 years that I had him. He was scared of his reflection, and would either hide or play dead. Some just aren't aggressive, and will never flare for whatever reason. Also, most males won't flare from tapping, mine associate tapping with food, so they certainly don't flare from that. Your best bet to try to get him to is to put a mirror in front of him for a few minutes. I personally don't recommend this though because I feel it stresses them out unnecessarily.
2) The best way to introduce him to his tank is pour out a bit from his cup into his tank and float his cup. Over several hours do small water exchanges so that eventually everything in his cup is tank water. This allows him to adjust slowly to not only the water temperature difference, but also the water chemistry difference.
3) Finrot it defined by ragged black edges. Do his look ragged? Or is it a well-defined edge? If it's well defined and doesn't look ragged, chances are it's part of his coloring.
4) I am not familiar with mopani wood, so I don't think I can help well with this question. Things to consider are, was it treated with anything, did you wash it well before putting it in, where did you get it from.
5) Yes, you should test the water again, oftentimes wood does mess with the water chemistry.

If you have any more questions, we are here to help.

#7 ·
IMO, the two most important things (beyond heater, etc.) a fishkeeper should have are Seachem Prime and some sort of parameter testers. While I prefer the API Master Test Kit I realize not everyone can afford to add $25.00 to start-up costs. So either API liquid Ammonia or Test Strips will do. While I have found the test strips to read the same as the liquid, the liquid tests are cheaper in the long run. The MTK is even more cost-efficient as it measure four parameters: Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and pH.

Not all Betta flare at anything other than another Betta. Mine do that but don't flare at a mirror.

I do not acclimate any of my fish. I use the method described below with 100% survival rate. How one acclimates fish is a personal choice. There's nothing wrong with the other methods; I just have found the process unnecessary.

Acclimating your shipped fish or invertebrates to their new tank | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

"Cycling" (if you don't know) is how a tank is made stable parameter-wise. It requires less maintenance to keep a cycled tank and most tanks with filters will cycle if allowed to do so.

1. Test water for Ammonia every day.
2. When Ammonia reaches .25 ppm do a 25% water change (some recommend .50/50% but I'm more conservative and anything over .25 ppm Ammonia makes me nervous)
3. When you see Ammonia start testing for Nitrites (you can use API 6-in-1 Test Strips if you don't have the API MTK)
4. When either reach .25, do a 25% water change
5. When Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 test for Nitrates
6. If you have 0 Ammonia and Nitrites and test shows Nitrates, your tank is cycled

You may have to do two or three water changes (or more) during the cycling process. Once it is done a once-a-week 25% water change should be more than enough to maintain a healthy environment for your Betta.

No matter what the manufacturer suggests DO NOT replace the filter media until it is falling apart. It contains the beneficial bacteria that maintains your cycle. Instead, gently swish the media in old tank water. I do it once a month but every water change won't hurt anything.

Hope this wasn't TMI and .... Welcome to the Forum!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.