Betta Fish Forum banner

Conflicted views on water changes?? For baby bettas

400 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LittleBettaFish 
#1 ·
Hi, I have been reading conflicted opinions on water changes. Some say that doing partial changes are necessary to not stress the baby betta, whereas others say to 100% water changes every other day. Which one is correct? Thanks!

#3 ·
Baby bettas release a growth stunting hormone so they need more water changes than adults. I have a young betta in a 1g who gets 100% water changes daily, she's not even fazed by it now, follows my finger into the cup and doesn't freak out while in it as I feed her in there.

So long as you are carefully acclimating them back into the water, (allow for at least 20 mins) by floating till the temperatures are around the same and slowly pouring a little new water in at a time, you shouldn't have many issues.

#6 ·
Personally, I always recommend a larger, cycled tank so that you can do fewer/less drastic water changes. A larger tank provides a more stable environment for the fish (temperature, water parameters, etc.), more swimming room, and is easier for the fishkeeper to manage (plus no stressful 100% water changes). Babies are more fragile than adults ;)

#7 ·
Kim is right. Honestly the only reason mine is in a 1g is because the 10g I was going to move my male into, so I could put her in the 5g, turned out to have hairline cracks which were growing when it was filled up. Not the situation I had planned for, but I'm making do.

#8 ·
Honestly, I raise betta fry (they are wild bettas) and they get maybe a 20% water change once a week if that and they have never had any issues reaching a full, adult size. Yes, they may attain it more slowly than a fry that is receiving 100% water changes daily, but if slow growth is not a concern, than I don't think changing the water every day is necessary.

Usually breeders will be doing extremely large and frequent water changes because they want their fry to reach maturity as quickly as possible for either sale, breeding, or show purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.