Betta Fish Forum banner

Why so afraid?

781 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Larry69 
#1 · (Edited)
I know that this thread should be about Bettas, but I didn't get any answers on the tropical fish forum, so I thought you could help me.
I was curious about having a Guppy and my gf gave Scrap (her Guppy that she got 2 years ago). I told her that he won't eat if I'm there; that every time I see him at the surface he hides and that after I change his water, he hides under a huge clam. She told me that he did the exact same things while she kept him.
Before I got Scrap, his tail got blackened and his belly became swollen. Scrap was kept in 2.5 liters (0.66 gallons) and got daily 100% water changes, but his water was always dirty because of the food in the water, so i think this caused the black tail and swollen belly.
Ok, he receives daily water changes since several months ago. In the beginning, he only had weekly water changes; soap was used to clean the bowl, the water wasn't dechlorinated and he didn't get food daily.
Now, he is in a 7 or 8 liters container (~2 gallons) and he got one 100% water change (since it's his second day at my house).
Should I get him a "friend"? How often should I change the water? Should I medicate him? His belly scales are alright

#3 ·
Hi Larry!

Sounds like you're going to give Scrap a great home. c: What a lucky little guppy (they also have a guppy forum like this one, so maybe you'll want to check that out in the future?). Personally, I keep my three guppies in a 5 gallon tank that's heated and filtered. Guppies aren't shoaling fish, but they do seem to do better in numbers. You might be able to get away with another guppy in a two gallon, but I'd really suggest going with a 5 gallon. Petsmart has a complete 5.5g set-up (filter, tank, hood) for $25, and a heater can cost a$10-14.

I wouldn't medicate Scrap yet. Just keep his water clean, and let him get used to his new home. An upgrade and a few more guppies will help with this. Numbers can help make them feel more comfortable in their surroundings.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm not too sure about the bioload of a guppy, and I'm also not sure if your tank is cycled, so I can't really give you information with 100% accuracy, but I always consult this handy sticky we use on here when doing water changes or trying to figure out how many water changes my tank requires- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

It's also good to have a liquid ammonia test kit on hand (I use the API Freshwater Master Kit) to check the readings daily until you get things figured out.

Hope this helps and I hope your guppy gets better soon with the great care you're going to give him. :)

#10 ·
Ah...well, suggesting water changes can be a bit tricky. The best thing for you to do would be to get an ammonia test kit (you'll need one anyway - the liquid ones are best), and monitor the water daily. Basically, you want to be doing enough water changes to keep ammonia at 0 ppm.

I'm glad you are looking into larger tanks - it is easier to cycle a larger tank, although you could cycle a 2 gallon. Here is a great link about the aquarium cycle: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...nners-guide-freshwater-aquarium-cycle-353074/

I actually have no experience with a 2 gallon tank. I used a 2 gallon tub to QT a rescue betta at one point, but I've moved to using 5 gallon QT tanks now because they are much easier to keep clean. To give you an idea of a water change schedule, I was doing 100% water changes every other day on the QT tank. 100% water changes are stressful though, which is why I switched to the 5 gallon QT tanks (I do a 50-75% water change every other day with a 100% water change once weekly in those; I also siphon poop out daily). You might consider doing something similar, or perhaps do a 50% daily with a 100% weekly, but you will definitely want that ammonia test kit to make sure your water change schedule is sufficient. Hopefully someone with some more experience with 2 gallon tanks can chime in, but I definitely recommend an upgrade to at least 5 gallons when you get the chance :)

Oh, and I forgot to add that this water change schedule is based on my assumption that your tank is uncycled.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Larry,
Does your 2g tank have a filter right now? Guppies are not like bettas, and cannot come to the surface to breathe as bettas do. If you do not have a filter in there I would definitely get one as there won't be enough dissolved oxygen in the water to keep him healthy.
If you do have a filtered tank, I would advise a 40 to 50% water change everyday unril it is cycled. You do not want to do a full change as the tank will not cycle and will lack the beneficial bacteria.
If you do not have a filter in there, you are going to have to do full water changes every day. You mentioned he was getting full water changes every day previously and that the tank was still dirty from food buildup. This indicates overfeeding. Cut back on the food you are feeding him. The food left in the tank that isn't eaten quickly deteriorates and can cause the ammonia levels to go sky high (probably attributing to his fin rot). A siphon or regular old turkey baster (new and cleaned with out soap/chemicals) will help between water changes. As I mentioned guppies obtain their air from the dissolved oxygen in the water, and that oxygen rapidly depletes . It could cause him to struggle with breathing and may be partly the reason he has had health issues ( the others being the deteriorating food and lack of water conditioner and a heater).
You did not mention if you are now using a water conditioner for water changes?
And no soap.....ever....in his tank or anything that you use to take care of him.
I would actually suggest getting him a bigger tank than you now have. Guppies are way more active than bettas and need more room to swim.
For now the 2g will do temporarily to get him stabilized.

#13 ·
Scrap doesn't have a filter; maybe I should put my Betta's filter in Scrap's container?
The fact is that Scrap doesn't eat very much food, he likes eating plants more. My girlfriend thought Scrap doesn't see the food, so that's why she put much food (at least she removed the uneaten food after several hours). Her mom said that she doesn't feed him, so she put even more food in the bowl.
I do use water conditioner and don't use any soap. And yeah, guppies are so restless, so bigger is better

#12 ·
I talked to my parents, my dad's gonna ask a man how much money he wants for building a 25 liters aquarium. It would be great to have three guppies.
And I know about the nitrogen cycle, my Betta's 25 liters aquarium is almost cycled. The problem is that Scrap doesn't have a filter at the moment :/ I think I'll try daily 50-75% water changes
Thanks for your concern

#14 · (Edited)
AWW! I put my Betta's filter in Scrap's container (even though there are too many liters per hour :( ) and Scrap seems soo calm and breathes kinda easier and he even stayed near the surface :O
Don't tell me that for 2 years, he was so shy only because of the severe lack of oxygen. Weekly water changes in a bowl...
When I saw that he's scared by everything that I do, I thought "What a dumb fish.. At least I might make his life better". He only moved when I (accidentally) creeped him out or when I wanted to net him for a water change. Now, he seems another fish :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.