Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I euthanize???

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  smurpheygirl 
#1 ·
I rescued Raphaello, a blue VT, from Petsmart two weeks ago. He was in a filthy slimy dirty cup. A soon as i brought him home and put him in his new filtered tank with some bamboo and a little plant, he started to deteriorate.

First: cottony patches - fungus, right?
Second: tail falling apart - fin rot, right?

Started to treat both with aquarium salt and PimaFix (since it says it takes care of fungal AND bacterial infections and Petsmart didnt have any tetracycline), took the carbon out of the filter, and daily water changes.

Well, as of today, his tail is completely gone as is his dorsal fin, and this morning he looks "pine-coney" - dropsy, right?

Should I euthanize him? He was sick to begin with, but I don't think I can save him like I thought, especially if he has dropsy.

#2 ·
Did you acclimate him properly before putting him in the new tank? It might be shock that lowered his immune system and brought on those other problems. But I would not use the PimaFix... it's a potentially harmful product.

As for the euthanasia, that's your choice. If he seems like he's suffering and you think you've done what you can than maybe it's a better option. You can either put him in a small cup and put clover oil in it. You can also bring him to the closest vet clinic where they'll give him a small injection (it's painless and rapid) and they usually charge just a couple of dollars for it. Some say that you can put them in a cup in the freezer but I just don't like it.

#3 ·
Thanks, yes, he was properly acclimated. The fin rot is one thing, but since he is starting to look like a pine cone, I dont know if i can save him.

I dont know what other meds/treatmemns to use because everything I read online contradicts the last, and the Petsmart people just hand me the stuff on the shelf that everyone online says NOT to use!?

So what do i do to treat him???

#4 ·
I'm so sorry. I just bought a Chocolate Copper HM from PetSmart on Saturday and the same exact thing has happened to my fish. He had mild fin rot, then he got a fungus (columnaris?) and now his fins are almost all gone. I haven't seen the pine coming yet. Perhaps they were drone the same seller? Anyways I have been treating with AQ salt and it hasn't helped. My Man In Black looks like a goner :(

#5 · (Edited)
Normally when they start to pine cone it's a sign of internal organs shutting down and most don't survive.. he most likely had fin rot and fungus due to poor water conditions prior to you getting him.
The treatments he will need if the rot is to his body, along with everything else, is very strong medicine and is a risk using when a fish is already weak.

Euthanization may be the more humane way for him.. sometimes we have to look at the quality of life, over what we wish. If you are willing to spend a good deal on medications and put him through it then that is your choice.. as no one can blame you for trying and wanting to help him. On the other hand, no one is going to look poorly at you if you decide to allow him to pass to free him of his ailments and any suffering he may be having. It's a tough choice, but one only you can make.. and neither is the "wrong" choice.

I can list you medications to try- either more milder ones or ones that tend to have to be ordered because they are strong and not readily available.. up to you, just let us know what you want.
For easier to obtain, and not as harsh medications (in case you want to go that route):
Mardel’s Maracyn I & II, combined with Epsom Salt (2 tsp per gallon)- that will work for bacterial and fungal infections and help with the pine coning (the epsom salt will).

On a side note- what other plant do you have? A bamboo is actually not ideal for an aquarium, and if the leaves get into the water can cause health issues to the fish. A lot of "aquarium" plants the chain stores sell aren't true aquatic plants and in time will die and/or cause system problems with your tank and affecting your fish.

#6 ·
really? no bamboo? the Petsmart experts said bettas love bamboo and like to nibble on it....wth.....

the other plant is just a decorative artificial, but i took it out in case his tail was getting stuck in it. should I take out the bamboo too? the leaves are not in the water just the stalk.

#8 ·
Bettas are insectivores.. why they think they eat plants I have no idea o_O Silly employees who just want a sale lol. Bettas will check out things using their mouths, but they won't actually eat the bamboo.

As long as the leaves don't touch the water, nor fall in it, nor start to grow in it, then it should be okay.. most bamboos in aquariums tend not to last too long as it is.

And by pieces of him.. can you describe them? Are they pieces of his fins, his scales, chunks of flesh? -.-

#10 ·
So.. you can see where the pieces of flesh is missing from his body?

Honestly at this point, I would euthanize him.. he may have an aggressive form of bacteria or rot that is eating away at him. Are you able to find the medications I listed earlier?
Have you done a 100% water change today? If not, then go ahead to help keep his wounds clean.

#11 ·
At this point I would go for the euthanasia. I think it would be more humane. Maybe someone on this forum could tell you what he has if you post a picture. This is the first time I hear about losing pieces of flesh.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Good luck with your little fishy.

#13 ·
I tried to get a picture of him that was good enough to see the detail of his affliction, but I never got a good one.

Anyway, alas, my pretty boy didn't make it. He passed this evening. I really thought i could do a rescue and rehab, but I guess he was just too sick by the time I got him. At least the last two weeks of his life were spent in a nice clean little tank, and at least he was loved, if only for a little while. :( RIP Raphaello. I'm so sorry I couldn't save you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.