Betta Fish Forum banner

Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

234K views 307 replies 203 participants last post by  NucleoWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Since most filters require a filter baffle to work for bettas, I figured I'd show a step-by-step tutorial on how to build one from an ordinary water bottle. Make sure that the bottle is clean and contained only water prior to using. Rinse in HOT water, but never bleach or use soap that could be absorbed by the plastic.

Step 1: You will need a water bottle, as shown below, scissors, and a piece of tape. Pretty simple right ;-).

Sky Wood

Step2: Measure the approximate area of your filter outflow so you know how long the baffle will need to be cut.

Glass Plastic Transparent material Transparency

Step 3: Measure the amount of water bottle that you will need to cut. Note, do NOT use marker to mark your bottle unless you are certain to cut any marked areas off. I used sharpie just for the purpose of making it easy to see in pictures. A small slit in the plastic is the easiest way to mark the bottle.

Plastic bottle Bottle Water bottle

Step 4: Cut both ends off of the bottle so that you are left with the middle piece that you marked off.

Water Plastic bottle Product Water bottle Bottle

Metal

Step 5: Now you will need to cut the remaining ring lengthwise

Musical instrument

Finger Hand Thumb Transparent material

Step 6: Stretch one end of the curved plastic over the bottom lip of the outflow area, and tape the other end to the cover to keep it in place. Now when the water flows out it will hit the plastic and be redirected to the sides with much less force. Now plug your filter in and watch as you now have no surface current, but still have a filtered tank :).

Transparency Glass Transparent material Plastic

Finger Transparency Cable

See less See more
#252 ·
I am a very new member. (This is my first post) I didn't even know you could buy a baffle, much less make one! I put a small clamp on the air hose to reduce the amount of flow. Will this hurt the pump, fish or filter? In the past, I have punctured the hose until my betta was able to relax. Would a baffle be better?

Attachments

#258 ·
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but how do you baffle an undergravel filter? I found an old thread that suggested putting tissue paper in the air pump tube. This worked, but the pump began making a weird noise. I was sure it would shorten the life of the pump.

Then I tried the water bottle idea, but I put it vertically so it would fit. I have been afraid my Betta would wander in there and get hurt or die. While I was searching this thread for how to baffle an UG filter, I read a post that this had happened to someone's Betta. I have already seen my Betta poking around in it, so I don't think this is the right method for me.

I really like the sponge idea, but I'm not sure how it would work with my filter. The filter I have came with the tank and hood I got from a neighbor (used). I think it's an old model because I can't find pictures of it online. Here's a quick pick with my cell..any ideas?

Attachments

#260 · (Edited)
I have a new way of making my baffle! This seems a lot less bothersome to aesthetics than a bottle covering my filter. I got a clear straw and cut it on one side, I made little grooves on the side thats on the bottom so some water just flows down the side of the filter and some drip out from both sides. The plant below is not moving at all anymore.

#261 ·
i have a 5 gal tank and a whipser filter, i keep it on the lowest setting. Should i baffle it? its diffrent than the ones shown here. The water is sucked up from the bottom and pops up from the top. I know the fish doesnt like where the water goes back into the tank or the part that sucks up the water.

#262 ·
I have a 4 gallon Marineland tank that shipped with a Penguin Mini filter and have used the sponge baffle method to keep my poor Malachai from being blown all over the tank. He's much happier now (and so are my plants!) This works!

#263 ·
Ok, so I'm really new to owning a betta. I got my first one just last Thursday. I've already done everything I can possibly think of to spoil little Dobby but the current in his tank makes him hide inside his rock and the food sinks before he can eat it. I feel like a terrible betta mommy. This baffle thing will help slow down the current? Not that I can't use this awesome one here but do they sell baffles too?

#264 ·
Ok, so I'm really new to owning a betta. I got my first one just last Thursday. I've already done everything I can possibly think of to spoil little Dobby but the current in his tank makes him hide inside his rock and the food sinks before he can eat it. I feel like a terrible betta mommy. This baffle thing will help slow down the current? Not that I can't use this awesome one here but do they sell baffles too?
They don't actually sell baffles, no. Besides, these are free. :)

#266 ·
I am a newbie (guenivere, originally, but I lost my password and the reset doesn't work).

The current in my Aqueon Mini Bow 5.0 is way too strong for my little guy. Not only can you see his silk plants moving around, but his fins are getting more and more raggedy.

I tried to make a baffle on this filter:
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/mini-bow-desktop-aquarium-kit-50.htm#

But it didn't work so well. First I did push some of the sponge into the intake valve but it didn't slow the water output flow at all. (It's WAY better than nylons tho - all the "big" chunks were blocked from going into the filter.) And of course, his fins are safe with the sponge block too, which was my original issue.

So I put thin pieces of sponge at the outtake, but they lifted the filter up and by morning, the filter was dribbling out the side. Argh.

Since he loves the filter and checks it out all the dang time (what, a betta hammock and log aren't enough?! :p ), I'm very hesitant to make the water bottle baffle.

Any suggestions? I feel lame. :p

#268 ·
This is working GREAT for my tank. I have an Aqueon Mini-Bow (5g) and it's awesome. Kaz hates any movement on top of the water and this has deferred it to a slow "buzz". He's so happy now. I also have plants and such in there.
But this baffle is awesome and great for my little man.

#270 ·
I used a variety of methods I saw in this thread haha. Basically I cut the bottle and hung it on the back with a weight (the weight is a cow...because cow.) then I had a decent amount of flow...So I put a mini filter pad that I got from petco for free (the cat charity gets fish stuff sometimes so they just unloaded it all on me). Now I have little to no flow. I do have to watch the water level though :\ My darn cat likes to drink the bettas water if she ever gets in my room and if there is too much space I get abit of a trickle down.:roll:

#271 ·
For anyone's benefit who has the 5.5 gallon starter kit from Petsmart and the filter flow is too strong even baffled, I came up with this stellar idea - with even more stellar paint skillzz. I put a spongey type thing through the baffle so it droops into the water on either side and completely disperses the water flow.

Attachments

#272 · (Edited)
Hi there,
I'm really new to keeping fish, so please be patient.

I purchased a tank, for which i followed the (very vague and incomplete, so it turns out) guidelines for setting up, and 3 days later added a Betta. I know, I know, I should have cycled... BUT at the time I did not know this as I was told there was no point in trying to cycle a small tank (19L). Further research has obviously shown this to be untrue, but there is not much I can do about it now as I have no available cycled tank to house the poor little guy in in the meantime. Believe it or not I did do a lot of research about the fish, but silly me forgot to look up some on the tank... My bad, but we all make mistakes.

I have however ordered a testing kit since finding out this information, and intend on doing frequent 20% water changes.

Annnyway, the reason I am posting is because I have noticed that when my Betta goes by the intake of the filter his fins tend to get sucked up. He doesn't seem too bothered by this, and can wiggle free, but it gives me an uneasy feeling, so i would if possible like to 'baffle' it. The only problem is that i seem to have an odd filter.

I have attached a photo the tank I have (although it is not my tank in the photo), and if you see there are slits on the left hand side- well, they seem to be the intake, with the 'tap' like shape being the output on the other side (Betta does not seem too bothered by output with filter on lowest setting).

Could anyone offer any advice on whether i need, and would be able, to baffle the intake?

Thanks!

Also, I don't know if maybe anyone could offer any advice on what type of filter this is? It uses a combination of black and blue sponges and carbon and ceramic mesh bags. And is it safe for me to leave it on the lowest setting?

Thanks again for any help :)

#274 ·
To answer your questions - if your betta's fins are being sucked in, it would be a good idea to baffle the intake just so they don't get torn. I would cut a piece of craft mesh (sometimes called "plastic needlepoint canvas") to fit over the slots and just either thread a zip tie through from the filter side or tie it on with fishing line.

As for the filter, I'd call it a rear sump-type filter with a jet return. It's totally fine to leave it on the lowest setting.

#276 · (Edited)
I have a Marina i25 internal filter. I have not used it on my betta as yet, but I plan on starting. It came with my goldfish tank and since then that fish died- her tail got caught in the intake. My betta's is a VT so I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Is there a way to baffle the intake?

Here is a picture of the filter. It is about 6in long and the intake is just under 2in.

#278 · (Edited)
Flitfloat, you only need to baffle your filter if your fish is being sucked in ot blown about or hiding from the flow. If he can handle it, some current is good for exercise.

ShelliA, you can rubber-band or zip-tie some filter foam over the intake of your filter. This also provides more area to house beneficial bacteria.

Goldenskies, first see if your airpump will pump water out of the riser tube. If not, or if not much, you'll have to cut down the riser tube so the flow exits below the surface by a couple of centimeters or so. Try wrapping a couple of layers of masking tape around the cut-line. Mark the cut. Get as fine a hobby saw as you can find and cut around and around and around until it eventually cuts through. Smooth out the cut edge and assemble the filter with the cut edge down.

Welcome to the forum, you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.