Betta Fish Forum banner

New and overwhelmed!!! (for the second time...)

898 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Quinn 
#1 ·
Hey all! Looks like I'm back here again *sigh*.
I joined 3 years ago looking for help after I found some family members had bought a Betta, and me, being the crazy animal lady I am, had to start obsessively researching to give "Frankie" a better life. I was able to get him into a larger and heated tank, which was a win. However I think he only lived 6 or so months longer.
Now, 3 years later, they just came home with another! In the same tiny, crap-o keeper, cold water. And on my end, outrage again... So here I am, back trying to get this darn fish a better life! I am however super overwhelmed with all the info, the cycling, the water testing, the water changes, what type of tank to get, what I'll put in it, and so on and so forth. I've pretty much decided new no-name will come live with me, and I have NO supplies right now. I think I'm looking for a 2.5-5ish gal tank, I'd like to have live plants (I saw the NPTs and I would LOVE to do that - seems like it comes out less maintenance with the mini eco-system, but is that too crazy for a total beginner?) Of course I was already considering getting a 10 gal and dividing it for more Bettas :roll:

I tried to read a lot of the threads and stickies and such, but it's just all too much for my head right now! So I would love some straight up advice on it all.

What tanks do you guys like best? Are any of the kit type of deals (tetra, eclipse, etc) worth it, or are the filters and such they come with not worth it and I should just buy all the parts on their own? Especially if I want live plants, is the lighting on any of these tanks workable with plants (or do any have bulbs that can just change out)?
Am I crazy for even wanting live plants to start out with? Are caring for plants really a lot of extra work?
Heater recommendations?
Decor tips/recommendations (I've seen that there have been Penn Plax issues - any others I should be wary of)?
Testing kits, additives, that sort of thing - what do I need?
Basically - EVERYTHING! HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
Tanks: I prefer 5+ gallons due to the fact it is easier to cycle than small tanks. As for brand Hagen remains my top one due to the fact the silicone is cleanly done, and I have never had a leak with their tanks.

Filters: Sponge filters are still best IMO :p

|Lighting: I always found that lighting for live plants is hard to find on just any old tank. Some hoods are outfitted for two small lightbulbs, which the bulbs I find here are not great for plants. Find a hood that will outfit a tube type.

Live Plants: Some live plants NEED bulbs made specially for plants. Now for hardy ones that are good for low-medium lights are Java Fern, Marimo Moss Balls, assorted swords, anubias, frogbit, and a few others. VERY hardy, and low maintenance.

Heaters: Shatter proof and adjustable. Shatter proof is not for the fish more or less, but it is more sturdy and less likely to break if something bumps it. Adjustable gives you the ability to control temperature rather than rely (and hope it works) on a preset.

Décor: Always check your décor over. Even inside. If there are really small spot the betta may get to and get stuck in... I wouldn't recommend it. If the inside is smooth, check the outer edges and the entrance... For that you can sand it down if need be. I like fabric and silk plants, if you can find them. Gentle on any fish's fins and scales. Driftwood stays my favorite as well :lol: May leech tannins, but pieces you find that are sound you can boil and clean... Or buy one from a pet store (some pieces are for reptiles and may have pesticides! So be careful).

Testing Kit: API liquid master kit.

Additives: tap water conditioner. I use Aqueon tap water conditioner. Why? Because it: neutralizes chlorine AND chloramines, reduces stress in new fish, aids in restoring slime coat, and detoxifies heavy metals, ammonia and other elements. Make sure whichever one you choose mentioned chloramines, and heavy metals. Some don't! Makes them a tad sketchy to me.

Other additives: Some higher care plants may need plant food, or some sort of additive. I wouldn't know about those :) I don't use other additives for any reason.

FISH MEDICINE CABINET: Yes, a cabinet. Why? Because there are some things you should have as a "just in case" for any aquarium. Kanaplex, Maracyn and Maracyn 2, fungal medication, aquarium salt, Epsom salt, ich medication if you opt for that instead of salt (some do work!)...

Foods that are good: I opt for NLS (New Life Spectrum) Betta pellets. They are smaller, and still good for them! Even my neon tetras can eat these ones and they have tiny mouths. If you want, get a package of frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, Mysis, etc. A small sliver from a block will feed one Betta. Though there is a brand some have said to avoid... San Francisco Bay. Apparently has caused issues with parasites.

#3 ·
What tanks do you guys like best? Are any of the kit type of deals (tetra, eclipse, etc) worth it, or are the filters and such they come with not worth it and I should just buy all the parts on their own? Especially if I want live plants, is the lighting on any of these tanks workable with plants (or do any have bulbs that can just change out)?

A five gallon would be great for a single Betta, and it'll be easier to do a NPT plus, it's more manageable to cycle rather than something smaller like a two gallon tank. Pick the cheapest kit you can find out there, if you live in the US, Petco have these dollar deals every now and then. Where you can buy a five gallon for $5! You lucky Americans. Filters shouldn't be a big issue to be honest, just stick the one that comes with the tank if you do decide to buy a kit.

You'll have to baffle it though, 99% the filters that come with kits are too strong on their own for Bettas, so baffle it. Baffling is easy, just shove an aquarium safe sponge in the output of the filter, that's the easiest way of doing it.

The lighting that comes with most tank kits suck, if you want to do a NPT I recommend 2 watts per gallon so for a five gallon a 10 watt 6500k bulb would do. :) You can get easy to medium care plants with that

Am I crazy for even wanting live plants to start out with? Are caring for plants really a lot of extra work?

Live plants can be easy or hard. You don't have to do a NPT for live plants, lots of easy care plants out there like anubias, java fern, and a variety of mosses.

You could do a NPT though. :) Up to you. Plants are easy to maintain, just a few trims here and there in my experience.

Heater recommendations?

For a five gallon or smaller I recommend Elite Submersible mini 25 watt heater. You can set the temperature by turning the knob, better than those preset heaters out there! Remember to grab a thermometer too, those in tank class ones are cheap and efficient.

Decor tips/recommendations (I've seen that there have been Penn Plax issues - any others I should be wary of)?

Decor is up to you, I really don't have decor in my tanks, just live plants to be honest. I can give you some tips about decor though, make sure the decor isn't too sharp or rough, might snag and tear your Betta's fins. Test for this is to run it through some pantyhose if it tears the pantyhose it'll surely tear your Betta's fins if he gets caught in it.

Be wary that some plastic decor might leech colors into the tank, not nice.

If you get rocks you can boil them to disinfect them. The dollar store has a lot of silk plants that are cheap and great to put in the tank, that I've heard of anyways.

Liquid testing kits are the way to go! Strips are inaccurate and have a short shelf life. Fertilizers are up to you if you decide to get live plants, maybe grab some aquarium salt for emergencies.

Basically - EVERYTHING! HELP!

I think that's everything. Heater, filter, decor. As for food, I use New Life Spectrum a lot of people agree that it is a good brand of food. You can also get treats like bloodworms, up to you.
Hope this helps~

#4 ·
Thank you both for the help! The specific first hand knowledge is always helpful. I really appreciate your detailed replies. I think I'm really over thinking this, I've gotten to a point where I'm some what obsessive about my animals care :oops: so I think I'm over thinking this a lot. I just would have liked to be prepared before any fish came and do it on my time than be scrambling to get a fish out of poor conditions for someone else's carelessness. I can't believe they did it again! (yes I can, it's so like them). When I think back to the fish and other critters I had growing up I cringe at the life I gave them, I just can't stand even to see mr fishy in an poor environment any longer.

#5 ·
At least you're doing the right thing :) I know someone who does not listen to me about her fish... A platy died because she wouldn't listen - in the 1.5 gallon with the betta :roll: unfortunately not my household - not even my direct relatives!

#6 ·
Yeah I've been the only responsible animal owner in my family. I'm constantly having to deal with fixing the lives of their irresponsible sudden purchases. I'm amazed that I turned out so well with it considering the zoo I went through growing up! But of course that also means I'm always poor because I'm always caring for ALL the damn animals that I didn't even choose.
At least when it isn't family you can choose to walk away from it! We even live in the same building - I can't look away! haha

#7 ·
That's unfortunate lol. I lived with family... I bought the hamster new bedding since there was none, and I am not too cheap to avoid the junk we have in this town aka PINE and CEDAR aka POISON. So I paid twice as much for carefresh. :roll: Things I do for animals... I am also looking after two betta fish - one is my nephew's, and one is my brother's step son's. My nephew needs to learn a couple things (like not to put just ANY sponge in the filter -facepalm-) and the other fish is in a small tank usually with tankmates that die within a day or two :roll: That fishy has a whole 30 gallon with 5 black neons (eventually I want another 5). Nephew's fish is in a 15 gallon long, which will be his tank.

And choosing what fish to have in there is whose choice? Mine, and ONLY mine. Nephew has an input of what fish he would like, but in the end I am paying and I am not allowing the wrong fish in there. Well, that and if someone puts another fish in there I confiscate the tank, stand, fish, and rehome the fish. Made it noted to all family members, especially my nephew, to tell them to BACK OFF. It's OUR project. :lol:

#8 ·
"What tanks do you guys like best? Are any of the kit type of deals (tetra, eclipse, etc) worth it, or are the filters and such they come with not worth it and I should just buy all the parts on their own?"

I like the Fluval Spec systems. They're pretty and the filter and pump chambers are separate from the fish's compartment. The pump is strong and you'd need to baffle the output. That said, I really like the simplicity (in terms of maintenance) of Lee's Kritter Keepers. Having separate components you can clean individually is easier compared to the built-in filter chambers in the Spec series, which can be a little tight to work with in terms of getting your hands in there to clean. Plus, the plastic tanks are lighter and can be carried to a sink for cleaning, which is nice for getting algae off. Plastic tanks do scratch so have to be cleaned gently. I agree with the minimum 5+ gallons being good for a betta if that's something you can manage. Smaller aquaria are do-able, but require more frequent water changes and don't provide as much swimming space for fishy. I myself have to have a small aquarium because I'm low-functioning disabled. I've found some good tricks to make it a happy home for my betta. As for filters, I think someone already mentioned that many filters will need the output baffled to reduce flow. That has been my experience. Right now I have an elite mini and a Fluval "moss ball" in my 1.8 gallon. The Elite mini has a sponge that provides a good home for beneficial bacteria that break down wastes. The sponge has a little hole in it that I stuck a few scraps of Polyfilter in to suck up extra wastes. The Fluval "moss ball" has resin in it that sucks up ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. These filtration things are good for a small tank, but might not be enough for 5+ gallons.

" Especially if I want live plants, is the lighting on any of these tanks workable with plants (or do any have bulbs that can just change out)?"

I use a Fluval PCL13 mini compact flourescent lamp (bought seperately from the Spec kit). I found that the LED light that came with the Spec promoted algae much more than the PCL13. Most people with plants recommend a CFL (compact flourescent light) with a 6500K sunlight spectrum.

"Am I crazy for even wanting live plants to start out with? Are caring for plants really a lot of extra work?"

Well, it depends on if you go all out with your planted tank or not. There are definitely different levels of complexity with planted tanks. I've gone with the simplest option of betta tanks and don't have gravel on the bottom. It's much easier to clean a tank without gravel, and I can see and remove fish poo right away. I have 2 little "pots" I made out of plastic canvas that hold a couple small plants (micro sword and Cryptocoryne). The rest of my plants I have because they *don't* require high lighting OR pots: Anubias nana, Hydrotriche, Brazilian pennywort and java moss. I have them tied to pebbles so they don't float. I'm not saying don't do gravel! It's pretty and I'd have it if I had the energy to gravel vacuum. Lots of plants need a gravel substrate to spread their roots in. I'm just pointing out the advantages of a bare tank floor. I've had to simplify fish-keeping, and removing gravel and having plants with low light requirements does make things easier.

"Heater recommendations?"

I like the Hydor 25W. It has a dial that lets you adjust the temperature. Just remember when adding a heater to set the dial lower than your intended target, watch temperature closely, and increase slowly. Especially if your tank is small, where a 25W could easily overheat your tank. Mine is set at 74 degrees in a 1.8 gallon tank and keeps it between 79 and 80.

"Decor tips/recommendations (I've seen that there have been Penn Plax issues - any others I should be wary of)?"

Run some panty hose along the edges of any decoration you get. If it snags, that area needs to be filed down or coated with aquarium cement to protect fishy's fins. Be aware that aquarium cement won't dry clear and will cloud over time, so the decoration won't look nice with globs of cement on them. :)

API master test kit for water, and GH and KH test kit could also be helpful.
My experience with additives like plant food and vitamins is that they are easy to overdo and can create nutrient overload, algae blooms and organic overload. I don't add them to the water for that reason. My plants are happy without them. As far as water conditioners go, a lot of people here swear by Prime. It's good for emergency treatment of ammonia spikes. I don't use it because I'm allergic to most sulfur-containing compounds. I use spring water for the tank so I don't really need to use it, anyway.
:)

#9 ·
When I mentioned cleaning a fish tank in a sink, I meant bathroom sink or bathtub. Not a good idea to wash fish stuff in a kitchen sink. You might get the pukes or diarrhea from this or that bacteria. Just mentioning it to make sure I've done my public health duty. ;)

#10 ·
:lol: If you DO clean anything in the sink (plants and décor for example), make sure to REALLY clean that sink out after. Bleach is the best bet, kills all bacteria. Make sure to wear gloves if you are sensitive or allergic to it like I am ;) And open a window >.> fumes suck :p

#11 ·
I totally needed that warning, not even kidding, I bet I would have washed it in the sink and not thought anything of it! :sick: After all the kitchen is closer than the bathroom and I'm that lazy - HAH

Thanks for the detailed response, it's definitely something to think about, the amount of upkeep needed. I definitely want the tank to be "pretty" eventually as a fish is a wonderful pet because its also a gorgeous decoration (unlike my usual doggy culprits who do anything BUT make the house look nicer :p ) but I think your suggestions of simplicity may be better for me to start with. Keeping my immediate goals realistic apparently isn't my strong suit, and hopefully this mr. fishy can eventual reap the benefits of a pretty home, or if not him perhaps I'll just have a new animal addiction to suck up all my income!

#12 ·
UPDATE: So I ordered a bunch of supplies online, as the stores nearby enough were super overpriced and had poor selection. Sadly "Stewart" as my lil sis named him passed away. So I was stuck with all this fish stuff, but through my research I was already becoming enamored with the wee things, so I got a boy anyway. And now I'm already considering starting a sorority. Scouring Craigslist for cheap 20longs. Uh oh!
Anyway picked out a guy in Petsmart while grabbing a few more things/overpriced plants (although I was planning on ordering a gorgeous aquabid guy) who was calling to me. SO CLOSE to getting a little female they had. But this guy was a handsome, supposed dragonscale, crowntail, who had a leak in his cup! So I had them change it and took him home. Planted up the 6.6gal with some anubias, amazon sword, wisteria, java fern, dwarf hairgrass, and a marimo moss ball (need to get some floaters) and got it set up and he's floating in his cup now. I'll get some pictures soon.
Unfortunately the filter that came with my tank was leaking over the power supply connection (obviously not good), so I think I'm going to have to purchase a new one. Was considering a sponge filter, however I heard that they don't provide enough water movement for plants or something, so not sure what I'll end up doing. For now just frequent water changes. God I'm already also considering splitting his 6.6 (it's a long book shelf aquarium, something like 24x8x9) and putting another boy in there too. Fish addiction, just what I need. Can't BELIEVE how much money I've already spent on all this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.