Betta Fish Forum banner

Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

234K views 307 replies 203 participants last post by  NucleoWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Since most filters require a filter baffle to work for bettas, I figured I'd show a step-by-step tutorial on how to build one from an ordinary water bottle. Make sure that the bottle is clean and contained only water prior to using. Rinse in HOT water, but never bleach or use soap that could be absorbed by the plastic.

Step 1: You will need a water bottle, as shown below, scissors, and a piece of tape. Pretty simple right ;-).

Sky Wood

Step2: Measure the approximate area of your filter outflow so you know how long the baffle will need to be cut.

Glass Plastic Transparent material Transparency

Step 3: Measure the amount of water bottle that you will need to cut. Note, do NOT use marker to mark your bottle unless you are certain to cut any marked areas off. I used sharpie just for the purpose of making it easy to see in pictures. A small slit in the plastic is the easiest way to mark the bottle.

Plastic bottle Bottle Water bottle

Step 4: Cut both ends off of the bottle so that you are left with the middle piece that you marked off.

Water Plastic bottle Product Water bottle Bottle

Metal

Step 5: Now you will need to cut the remaining ring lengthwise

Musical instrument

Finger Hand Thumb Transparent material

Step 6: Stretch one end of the curved plastic over the bottom lip of the outflow area, and tape the other end to the cover to keep it in place. Now when the water flows out it will hit the plastic and be redirected to the sides with much less force. Now plug your filter in and watch as you now have no surface current, but still have a filtered tank :).

Transparency Glass Transparent material Plastic

Finger Transparency Cable

See less See more
#29 ·
I have been wanting to do this for ages but kept forgetting to check out this thread. When I bought my 4 gall a filter came with it that a shark would struggle to fight against so hopefully this will work in order for me to use my 4th filter for a divided tank :)

#31 ·
Another way to baffle is to take a piece of aquarium sponge/foam and rubber band it to the filter where the water comes back into the tank.

Adjustable - pull the sponge/foam up for more flow or down for less flow - no sharp edges and another place for the good bacteria to grow.

I am attaching a picture of one of my betta tanks to show you what I mean. :) When the hood is closed, you don't really see the sponge.

Attachments

#32 ·
When I got my filter, I freaked out because my Betta was being blown everywhere, and then sucked up by the filter. And he had NO clue what this evil thing was.

I searched the net, and found the other article (that someone linked to here), and that method worked very well. I also put a sponge-like cloth thing inside of the stretched bottle, and placed a piece in the intake tube.

My Betta was really curious, and bit at it, and tried to go into/underneath it, but I rounded the edges, and the sponge thing was there.

I played around with different methods for a few days, and now I just place a sponge in the outflow, and in the intake. Just like Lion Mom shows, but I didn't require the rubber band, it just stayed. The water is practically still, and the tank is still being filtered well.

Every now and then, I take off the baffle because my Betta LOVES to swim against the current, eat the bubbles, and just check out the filter (Silly fish!).

As long as he's happy, I'm happy.

#33 ·
Well Gee Wiz! I wish I knew about these ideas years ago! My poor fishes were always having to swim marathons in the constant heavy flow of the water from the filter. I tried more plants to break up the flow but then got too cramped for space, and tried to use the flow rate regulater some filters have but still was too strong of a flow. So now I'm happy to be able to use these ideas for when I get my fish their new tank! Thanks for the ideas!

#38 ·
I used some gauze folded up and banded around the filter like the sponge one. it seems to work pretty well and since im in the dental field i get lots of free gauze! i also put a little chunk of sea sponge in the intake to prevent any of my ghost shrimp from being sucked up.
Heres the intake with the chuk of sponge. my betta was being a show off when he saw the camera come out.

Heres is the gauze

and here is one extra of him flaring at the view finder (its not the clearest picture but look at that beard!)

#43 ·
Thanks for this! I just moved my betta from a 1.5 gal unfiltered to a 5 gallon and needed someway to baffle it. For now i've just kept the filter off since when I turned it on it shot my poor fishy across the tank lol.

#45 ·
Well, are there any suggestions regarding slowing the flow of an Elite Mini Underwater Filter? Since the dividers holes are so small the flow basically just circles around the side of the tank it's on. I may try putting some larger (but not TOO large) holes in the divider to try and get the flow over to the other side too (Maybe that will help keep the current still)

#47 ·
I couldn't figure out why Maximus avoids certain spots in his tank. Last night, I had an aha moment when he followed me and went into an area he usually avoids - and was swept to the side. Aha! I had made the baffle, but I didn't realize that the water was still flowing strongly despite being shunted to the sides. Had the same problem when I tried the sponge baffle. So now, I'm going to add the sponge to the filter along with the bottle baffle and see how that works.

#49 ·
I have a question about the tape. Whats the best way to tape it on? Right now I'm using electrical tape. Should I invest in duct tape? The reason I can't tape it conpletly flat is because I have a divided tank and put the filter near a divider so the water flow would flow into both tanks. It's working but the baffle occasionally comes off.

#50 ·
I was wondering if this coke bottle method would work with my submersible filter? It is very long and I gotta do something cause it is strong current. I do not wanna buy a new filter cause this one works very well and I put plants in the way but that is not helping either. This is what it looks like

#51 ·
I have 2 tanks, and although the boys don't seem to mind the filter too much I thought I would try making the baffle for them to see if they are a little happier. 1 is real small and I can't tell if he is swimming in the current or being washed around by it. Both filters are whisper internal filters (the smallest size). My question is, both my bettas like to hang out behind the filter, between the filter and tank side. Will the homemade baffle hurt them if they go inbetween the baffle covered filter and the tank wall? thank you for your time

#52 ·
Nice post! Was so easy to do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.