Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about planting.

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  dr2b 
#1 ·
Right now as far as plants go in my tank I have one very boring fake plant. It just looks boring and I'm sure Hector would love a real plant to rest on. I have one Betta and two (possibly adding more) Ghost Shrimp. The 5 gallon has a 25 watt incandescent light and because it's a Betta tank I'm not using an air stone. I'm not looking for anything that's really fancy, just something simple, easy to take care of, and that Hector will like. Is there anything I can keep under these conditions? If needed I'm willing to buy an air stone (if needed) or fertilizers.

#2 ·
I don't know anything about tank plants, but I do have a nice looking java fern that impossible to kill. It does alright with low light and I don't think it needs fertilizers. I've never added any and it looks great! If you get one, don't submerge the roots under the substrate. Just tie the plant onto a rock or something. Mine came with a terra cotta pot weight already attached to it.

#4 ·
I got mine from aquariumplants.com. I also have a nice java fern. It's growing babies from under it's leaves. I also have a water wisteria, four leaf clover, and two anubias. I'm not plant savvy so I picked all beginner plants. In your small tank, the java fern would probably be nice.

#8 ·
i know bettas love wisteria as well, very easy to grow plant in just about any light conditions

#9 ·
Cryptocoryne is very hardy - very hard to kill it. I will say you should get a daylight spectrum CFL bulb if you are going to do plants. Incandescent bulbs aren't the best for plants. You also need to get the fertilizer for plants also. I have always had a lot of luck with any of the Amazon sword family or crypts. Pennywort is good also (along with what everybody else mentioned).

#10 ·
I have anubias which has been doing great in my crappy lighting system (like 7 watts). I know my WalMart sells aponogeton and water lily bulbs. I planted some aponogeton bulbs today actually. A few others have them and it's cool to grow your own plants from scratch and watch them grow.

#11 ·
I think the most fun, and cheapest way, to add plants is to get some Bulbs. They are like 3-4 bux for nearly 20 bulbs some times. All you do is shuv them in your gravel and wait! Once they sprout they will sky rocket! Yes it take time, and you must be patient. I think its well worth it though. Some plants could be 10 bux + and if they die... your out 10 bux! Coulda bought a new betta with a vase! haha. Also most bulb companies give a 30 day garentee, if they don't sprout send them back and they will give you new ones! Once i planted one tank, i dont think ill ever go back and buy another stupid fake one again! What a waste of money....

Good luck!

#14 ·
I got an Amazon Sword yesterday and it came in a black basket type thing. I have no idea if I should remove it from that and plant the roots in the substrate or not, so for now it's just sitting in my tank. Hector does seem to like to swim around it though. He now allows the shrimp on the fake plant, but not the live one lmao.

#16 ·
It is really up to you. I found it looks better to cut the plastic tub off (well that depends on how big of a root system you have going on). I always have to cut mine like it's a delicate operation because my root systems always tend to be about 2-2.5 inches long and about an 1 inch across tangled up in the black tub. I also want to let you know that Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders. I have to keep root tabs in for it. I can always tell when it is time for a new one.

#18 ·
I use Flourish Root Tabs, but there are other brands out there (such as API). I use Flourish excel and Kent Pro plant also. My Amazon sword and Kliener Bar sword are thriving :)

#20 ·
Some Amazon Swords can grow to be fairly large. I found if you trim the older leaves it keeps it in check. Mine is in a 5 gallon tank, and it's definitely not taking over by doing this method. I really like my sword plant :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.