Betta Fish Forum banner

Uses for oak leaves?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
I know that oak leaves can be used to help heal torn fins but other than that I don't know what they help with-is there anything else? I just have a lot and thought they might be useful so I wanted to know what they can do.

#2 ·
I use oak leave more for the tannins and to soften the water a tiny bit. I also use them for substrate in my marble crayfish tank and tetra spawning tanks
They also have been helpful with micro nutrient/critter creation for new born fry food and hiding places for them as well.

I keep buckets outside with dried oak leaves in them to collect rain water and steep the leaves for some of my breeding projects

Not sure if it make much difference...but I seem to get better mosquito larva production in the buckets with the leaves than the buckets without the leaves

#3 ·
So it softens the water? That could be really useful to me because I have really hard water. Thanks!

#5 ·
I haven't had any problem with mold-make sure the oak leaves are totally dried before use..

SilverCaracal-are you using any type of filter or aeration with your oak leaf use and are the OL naturally dried before use?

When using oak leave in large enough amount to soften water make sure and have your replacement water for water changes with the same pH, GH, KH to avoid sudden swings that can shock the fish often killing them, however, the change is usually not that great in my experience when using a more natural method but it is best to be safe than sorry......

I keep buckets of water with the dried oak leaf steep water on hand at all times for water changing, also adding some type of aeration can be helpful, I use airstones for this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.