Betta Fish Forum banner

Questions about my recovering fish

716 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Rjb5584 
#1 ·
****** Bulger had a moderate case of finrot recently. Thanks to the members of this forum, I was given a treatment regimine that has been working very well: 1:1 aq salt/gallon and daily 100% water changes. Thanks everyone!

My first question: at what point is it okay to end the treatment early? I know I shouldn't exceed 7 days, but is it better to just keep up with the treatments until 7 days, or end it early?

Second: is there anything I can do to help him regrow his fins quickly, aside from keeping water clean and 78-80 degrees?

Third: he's back to making his bubblenests but EXTREMELY aggresive now. He charges, attacks, and flares at literally everything and nothing. Ithought it was just his reflection, but it is all sides of the tank, the middle of the tank, and regardless of lighting. He wasn't shy before his finrot, even when he had bubblenests, but nothing like this. Should I be worried? Will he ruin any new fin growth with his constant charging at...whatever he's charging?

Lastly: because he is so aggro, and I always feel bad about ruining his nests, should I continue with the 100% daily water changes, or is he just going to get stressed by it?

thanks for all the help so far, everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
****** Bulger had a moderate case of finrot recently. Thanks to the members of this forum, I was given a treatment regimine that has been working very well: 1:1 aq salt/gallon and daily 100% water changes. Thanks everyone!

My first question: at what point is it okay to end the treatment early? I know I shouldn't exceed 7 days, but is it better to just keep up with the treatments until 7 days, or end it early?
It's 10 days and I would continue the full 10 days to make sure the bacteria is dead.

Second: is there anything I can do to help him regrow his fins quickly, aside from keeping water clean and 78-80 degrees?
Stress Coat helps fin regrowth, as well as high protein diet.

Third: he's back to making his bubblenests but EXTREMELY aggresive now. He charges, attacks, and flares at literally everything and nothing. Ithought it was just his reflection, but it is all sides of the tank, the middle of the tank, and regardless of lighting. He wasn't shy before his finrot, even when he had bubblenests, but nothing like this. Should I be worried? Will he ruin any new fin growth with his constant charging at...whatever he's charging?
Sometimes over flaring can cause a split in their fins, but that usually fuses back after a few days. He's just perking up and feeling better, along with the water changes may make him on edge.

Lastly: because he is so aggro, and I always feel bad about ruining his nests, should I continue with the 100% daily water changes, or is he just going to get stressed by it?
No reason to stop proper treatment that is needed for a nest. It may annoy him at the most, but he will just build more.

thanks for all the help so far, everyone!
:)

#5 ·
Good as always Myates! Chinese Food!? You're making me hungry now :(

#6 ·
Sound slike you're doing a great job Rjb!!! :)

#7 ·
No worries, Myates--I am familiar with the challenges of eating Chinese food and typing!;-)

and thanks for the encouragement jman!

#8 ·
Yesh....I think I spoke too soon. Although he is geting better in some areas of his tail, it appears he is getting worse in other areas--in one spot, the webbing between a couple rays is almost halfway to his body by now...:-(

I'm starting to think it might be time to start an antibiotic regimine given how erratic it is getting. Is his jumping the gun a bit still? Seems really strange--can't figure out what's going on with him.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

#9 ·
If it's not doing any better, you can try API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin instead of the salt- or up the salt to 2-3 teaspoons per gallon to finish off the 10 days then start medication if needed... poor little guy!

#10 ·
If it were you, what steps would you take? Increase the salt (which is what I'm guessing), or move straight to the meds? If the meds, which would you suggest first?

#12 ·
For 5 or 6 days I think. Using about 1.25 teaspoons per gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.