Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding Halfmoons! First Spawn!!!

8K views 164 replies 18 participants last post by  Moby 
#1 ·
Hello, and thank you for reading this post.

I am breeding my halfmoons is a few weeks, and am super excited! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I wanted to run down the process I have gathered so far with you guys so that I can check that I am doing it right. I know that there are breeding Stickies here, I have read them all hundreds of times, just want to check to see I am doing it all good before I make a huge mistake and have someone get eaten or something horrible like that...

1. Condition the bettas (I am very confused on this part. Everyone one is all 'condition your bettas' and what-not, so I am really confused. They are both in warm water, being fed every day. I was thinking about getting a batch of baby brine shrimp going and feeding them that? Or would they be too small? HTey had IAL in their tanks, and are divided by a screen net. So they are constantly looking at eacheother. The male is very interstied and ready to breed,flaring at her lots and hanging by her side of the tank. He also just blew a HUGE bubble nest. But the girl does not have her verticle stripes and does not seem very interstied. Is this because she can't see him very well? Or Does she need to be conditioned? Please clarify.

2. I was going to use a tub for the 1st part of the spawning, putting the male in the tub and and female in a clear vase. When they are clearly interstied in eachother, release them. Let the magic happen, take the female out, return her to her tank to rest. Let the male take care of the eggs while I get my handy-dandy baby brine shrimp going.

3. Take the male out when the eggs hatch (or when they become free-swimming?)

4. When the fry become free-swimming, move them into my 20gal heated raising tank. I cannot get a filter, but am going to get one of those under-want suction/vacuumn thingie-mc-bobbers and clean the tank AT LEAST 2x per day to remove all dead BBS and :( dead baby bettas :(

5. When they babies start attacking each-other, move them out and hopefully into new homes soon! :))

6. Sell the babies online, here, and at my local tropical fish store, as well to all my family and friends, craig's list, school/teachers, and the good ones on Aquabids. This is assuming I have lots of fry. I want to be prepared to rehome them all, but if there are only a few friends and family and school (because I know the people) will come first.

I have tried REALLLLLLLYYY hard not to look over anything, please correct me or make any changes as you see fit. Also, one more question, around what age should the fry start being introducted to pellets? Thanks! :D

Have a great, awesome, wonderful, smile filled day!

Talk to you soon,
Thomasdog
PS the pics below are of the parents

Mommy (Sunshine on the Halfmoon Bay) ((Sunny))

Daddy (King of the Halfmoon Bay) ((Moonie))

Peace, Love, and Bettas! <3

See less See more
#96 ·
WOW! Sparta has tons of personality. So far, every fish I've ever had just swims around and ignores me unless I have food, but Sparta is amazing!!!! He chases fingers, flares at his food, attacks the plants, hides behind the heater, charges me, and even flares at nothing... on DAY 2 of being in the States! :D Can't wait to see what the fry turn out to be like!!!

#98 ·
He is your first Betta?

Yes, that's what is wonderful about Betta's, they are very aware of what is going on around them. They also learn that when you come around they get food!

Some fish you look at, Betta's look back at you!:shock:

Jeff.:)

#99 ·
Nope, I've had tons before, they were all just boring old duds (LOL)

I had no idea what quarentineing was.... he's in a shared tank so I assume that if he had something the female already got it......... looks healthy, no abnormalties, swimming fine, eating GREAT, not lethargic at all! Hopeing for the best

#100 ·
I might be getting the male Nicebettas has for sale right now :D She has such nice fish.

#105 ·
No, still feeding my fry BBS. It would be at least another week or so before mine are ready for grown up food... YMMV.

Live adult brine shrimp are kinda hard to come by here, so I use frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. I also like to use some flake food even they don't get excited about it as it contains lots more vitamins.

#107 ·
Do you think I should get a sponge filter for the babies in a 20g? Where can I get it for ~$10? I've heard that HMs need pristene water to keep thier fins clean, and even with plants and daily cleans, I think that a cheap filter is really going to improve the fry quality... whadda you think?

#110 ·
Mehhee! Just got the 10-15g one! YAY! It will be here ~Thursday! My breeding is coming together! I am also going to get an infuchia culture going in a while so that (even though I am going to have live plants) the babies do not starve. I will feed them that for 2 weeks, according to the website. So, it looks like this:

-Spawn
-Hatch
-Feed Infuchia (2 weeks)
-Feed BBS (7-8 weeks)
-Feed BS (Life)
-Spectrum Pellets (Life)

#112 ·
So... I have a problem.
I have been conditioning my pair for one week today, and even though they have been showing interist in eachother, the male has not blown a bubblenest and the female is not very eggy. (well she is slightly) They are in heated water, clean, IAL, and eating Live Brine Shrimp 2x per day. Sunny is in a cup and sees him for 10 perday. What am I doing wrong? Or do I just need to be more patient?

#114 ·
Cool! So I'll see when I can set up a spawn... how long can they condition for? And can they miss a few days becuase I am going out of town and don't want to breed now when my fry are going to miss 3 days of feeding. How old should the fry be when they can miss 1 day of feeding? (ex: miss Sat?)

#116 ·
Ok cool! That's wonderful! For right now: Spawn date: May 30! That will give the eggs 3 days to hatch, then I will have the weekend to monitor and feed and give attention to. !!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited! ++Love my parents! Going to get the Java Moss today, do you think a few hunks of that will provide enough infucia? Oh, there is a moss ball too. Just kinda confused on how to grow infucia, and when to feed, so I was just going to go the natural way for a week or two. (infucia)

#117 ·
Don't worry about infusoria, either they will be there or not.... Have some micro worms for the tiny mouthed fry, and some bbs for the big mouths!! You can give microworms a day or two after free swimming. and add a few bbs to see if they can fit them into their mouths yet.

Once you see that they are eating start packing those bellies! hehe. I continue to feed both bbs and microworms for a varied diet.

#119 ·
Oh my gosh..................................................

Just had the biggest scare EVER!

I cleaned the H2O in the fish tank and refilled it decently high. Then I went off to do my homework, and when my mom and dad got home I went out to greet them in the garage, where the fish tank is. Boy was I surprized to see *****2***** red tails swimming around. Sunny apparently jumped a 1/8 of an inch TWICE to get to Sparta's tank. :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So Little Miss 'I'm Gonna Ignore You Because I'm Just That Cool So What Now' really did LIKE Sparta. Breeding soon? I took her out and drained more water. I guess they want to breed NOW!

LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.