Betta Fish Forum banner

New user, new owner, sad betta?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Blott 
#1 ·
Howdy.
I'm Sean. Last wednesday in my lunch break I bought a betta fish. We've been meaning to get one for the office for a while now and I finally took the plunge. I bought a little dark blue one and named him Tiberius. I was afraid that he was a bit down in the dumps when we first got him because he was very dull and what I'd read about bettas led me to believe they were brightly coloured. Thankfully he brightened up considerably after being put in a larger tank then the horrible small ones the pet shop had and being fed. He's been here for about a week now and I haven't bene in at work the past couple of days. I noticed that he seemed to have started some bubble nests against the edges of the top of the tank, which I thought was cool. However, he seems to be spending a lot of his time laying next to his rock ornatment on the bottom of the tank. Is he depressed? Is there something I can do? I'm planning to get a little ball that floats for him to play with, as soon as I find a suitable one. I'll try to take a picture of him to post during ym lunch break.
Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
How big is his tank, if its too small or too cold he could become lethargic, if not maybe hes just relaxing :dunno:

#3 ·
he seems to still getting comfortable with the tank or hes not a very active fish it just depends and you said that he was still making bubble nests then hes happy and not a very active fish which is fine

#4 ·
As long he is in a tank of atleast 1 gallon, preferably 2.5 gallons and has weekly water changes he should be fine, keep him warm too.

He might be depressed, I've seen it happen. I reccomend having 2 bettas, right next to eachother, it's not stressful so don't worry. It will help though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.