Betta Fish Forum banner

Bloo's Sorority Journal!

5K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  bloo97 
#1 ·
So today I got a 10 gallon starter kit from Wal-Mart! I have the filter set up, the lights are in, and I have gravel. Tomorrow I will add water, (Fish need water, right? :lol:), adding the gravel and decor, and then of course the fish.
Tomorrow I shall be getting 5 female fishes from Petsmart. Does Petsmart have females? I think they do...
I will post pics of the tank and of the girls when I get set up. I will take advice and tips, as long as they don't ruin my day.

OH! The tank I got was origionally marked as being $40, but when they scannesd it, it only came up as $27! Woot! :D

#6 · (Edited)
Welll, You are only 1 state away! x3

I have a pic of the tanks! The first one is the actual tank, and the second one is the time out box for a naughty little girl.

Question: How will I see a pecking order?

Attachments

#10 ·
Good luck with your sorority!

I started one about 2 weeks ago and all 6 are in time-out now! I have had 2 die I believe from stress. I have another that appeared to have a couple of nips out of her so she is being treated. I am treating all for internal bacteria just to be safe because I didn't know one was sick until I found it dead in a cave. It is kind of stressful sometimes for me. I replaced one of my females not realizing that she is absolutely huge comparatively so once I feel their time out is sufficient I will re-release them and we will see how the pecking order goes this time around. The new one may be taking the reins! I hope you get some good dosile girls!!

#13 ·
Nice tank remember the more plants the better.I would say your looking for the healthiest ones.Remember you have to QT them for ATLEST a week.Good luck can't wait to see your new girls!

#14 ·
You really won't know until you have them and can observe them as to whether or not they will get along and how dosile they are. So just go for healthy! I would keep them in their separate bowls for at least a few days next to each other or floating in the tank so they can see each other. Then release them all together. By then you may be able to tell which one is the most aggressive. I don't think I waited long enough to put them in the tank together! My husband was being pushy and impatient! He wanted to see them all together.

#15 · (Edited)
Hey bloo, it's looking great, though I hope you don't mind some advise :D

You'll want some tall ornaments/or silk(or real) plants towards the top. that way you know the line of sight will be broken up and even the girl at the bottom of the pecking order will be able to surface for air. Because there can/will be a lot of nipping and chasing, the more ornaments and plants, the better.

Also, be sure to keep up with water changes, it seems to me you'll be doing a fish in cycle? If so, monitor the water params like a hawk XD.

also, tell the person to look for healthy active fish with clear eyes, no stress bars, responsive, etc. Believe me, treating sororities when they've all become sick really truly sucks.

#17 ·
I can take some plants from Dragon's tak and trade the plants for something else in his tank. :p

Thanks for the advice! I don't know If I'll keep them in their cups for a day or two, because, (Like your husband) I want to see them all together. I will float them in the tank for an hour, bacause they will see each other in the car ride home and at the store. Thanks!

Update:
The cloudiness in the tank has cleared up nicely, and I'll add more plants. :D

#20 ·
I really think it's safer if you wait a day or two that way you can make sure the girls are ok and that none of them are sick that way if one does end up having a problem you don't put her in with the others and risk having the others catching something.

#22 ·
Just a warning...

If you only wait a couple hours you will most likely get a bunch of females beating the crap out of each other. I waited 2 days and still had a couple of major fights. I wish I would have waited longer which is why all my girls are floating in cups in time out now and it's been 2 weeks.

Whatever you decide... Good luck and hope it turns out wonderfully! :)

#23 ·
Kay, thanks.

I added more plants, and the water temp is holding at 80*F. Do you think the bubble clumps will put them into "Breeding Mode?"

Attachments

#24 ·
Much better with more plants!I don't know about the bubble thing lol.

#25 ·
Thanks! Hehe, I doubt it now that I think about it. :p

Y'all rock!

"Nother question. Should I leave the light on overnight tonight? Or no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.