Betta Fish Forum banner

New User, help for my betta please !

880 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Veloran 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum 'cause I really needed help with my new betta fish. If I'm posting this in the wrong area, please re-direct me and I'll re-post this.

Some background: I had gotten a betta fish for my birthday from my boyfriend's mother. It was a vase with a peace lily in it, and I was to pick out a betta fish to live inside it. Peace and War novelty gift. She had done this for people before, so she assured me it would live perfectly fine and happily. I found out later ( after he died :[ ) that betta fish aren't actually supposed to live in those and I know a little better now. I found a 5 gallon tank, but I was still cleaning it while I found a new betta. I got him because I was excited that he was so wonderful looking.

Issue: I'm currently holding my new betta in the old vase of my first betta, Alpha, was in. The first time I put him in, I had a small heater for 1-5 gallon tanks. The wire to the heater was along the inside of the tank, and the second betta, Charlie, seemed fond of it. He would swim behind it and basically be there whenever I walked by to see how he was. I decided not to use it for a few days because we decided the house would be warm enough for him (75-80 degrees normally). The first time I changed his water, I took out the heater. I cleaned out his vase with soap, rinsed it thoroughly and poured distilled water into his vase, put stress coat in, and then put him in. Now, this is all from the advice given by my bf's mom. I guess it's my fault if any of her instructions were wrong, Alpha lived for a while but I don't think she killed him. But now I'm afraid something's wrong with how I changed Charlie's water this time, because when I put him in, I knew he was going to be upset I took his heater wire away, but I think that pissed him off so much, he took to digging into the marbles at the bottom, trying to hide his face and basically bury himself.

I feel really bad for not having anything for him, but the next day (today) I got a plant from PetCo, a big leafy one that I thought he could lie on and hide in so he'd feel better. But he hasn't moved from the bottom, he just curls up behind the sticky thermometer on the outside and stays there. I'm really scared for him.

He didn't eat today, he wouldn't come up. I put a little bit more stress coat in, and I'm trying to leave him be.

Do you guys think he's sick? Is he frustrated? Can fish feel frustrated??? :x

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, you don't want to clean your tank or anything in it with soap, it contains harmful chemicals that can kill your fish. Also, distilled water isn't the best water to use, I would use tap water that you've treated with water conditioner.
So, I don't know if any of these things are related to your predicament now, but they're good things to know.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

#3 ·
How do I clean my tanks ? I mean my bigger tank is going to have a filter, but I'd have to switch the water out of that later on, yeah ?
I think the mom said water conditioner was a bother and expensive but I'll probably look into it now.

Thank you for the advice!

#7 ·
If you want to do a serious cleaning of your fish tank, I found this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Fish-Tank

For just normal water changes, I simply siphon out the water I'm changing and give the decor a good rinse in water if I like, and then put in new treated water. I'm not the best at giving tank cleaning advice, so I hope someone can add to this or correct me if I'm wrong.

And using water conditioner is essential when you're using tap water in your tank, and in the long run it's going to be cheaper. I'd more and more treated tap water with each water change so your fish gets used to the change gradually, until he is completely on tap water.

#8 ·
Or you could just cup it out, as said above :)

#9 · (Edited)
Ok, first thing, go grab a container that you have never washed with soap, fill it with conditioned tap water (stress coat is a water conditioner), put him in his cup with some water from the vase, acclimate him to the water in the new container (float his cup in it, then every 10 mins or so add a teaspoon from the container to his cup for about an hour or two, the longer the better). Then net him out (make sure no water from his cup gets into the container), and put him into the container.

Next, take his vase and rinse, rinse, rinse. When you're done rinse again, put some water in the vase and let it sit for 24 hrs, then rinse again. You NEED to get all traces of that soap out before putting him back in there.

Did your b/f's mother teach you how to acclimate him to the water during changes, it doesn't sound like he's sick, but it does sound almost like shock or a water issue. He should still be young and healthy so once that's cleared up, he should recover.

Distilled water is not good for him, if you need to use bottled water, get spring water or drinking water. Conditioned tap water is best for him unless you have something seriously wrong with your tap water. Also, for your larger tanks, you will want to get a gravel vacuum. Simply replacing the water will not be enough, you will need to get the gunk out from between the gravel.

Also, you don't have to throw out the stress coat, but when it runs out, we recommend Seachem's Prime water conditioner around here as it has the added benefits of detoxifying ammonia and nitrites.

Edit: Also, make sure the temperature in his tank is not fluctuating.

#14 ·
Also you need to make sure you acclimate him properly after the water changes.
And you still need to make sure that you rinse, rinse, rinse his vase today. If there's still any soap in his water, it's poisoning him. I would even give it an initial rinse with white vinegar if you have before the rinse, rinse, rinse with clean water.

#11 ·
Not to be rude, but how long could it possibly take to clean a 5 gallon tank? Is it used or filthy or something? I would rinse, rinse, rinse, many times in hot water, and then add tepid water and conditioner. Don't use soap, but if you must use something stronger, you could use white vinegar, or a little plain unscented bleach, scrub with a clean rag or sponge (no soap) and rinse away many times.

I would suggest learning about how to care for a betta on your own now that you know the boyfriend's mother is not well-informed on proper care of bettas. He is your fish now, and it is your responsibility to give him proper care. It's good that you are here now and getting better information.

#13 ·
Not to be rude, but how long could it possibly take to clean a 5 gallon tank? Is it used or filthy or something?

I would suggest learning about how to care for a betta on your own now that you know the boyfriend's mother is not well-informed on proper care of bettas.
We had found the tank I'm the basement after I felt like getting a new fish. We didn't expect to get my new one so soon so we hadn't even started, and things kept getting in the way.
I really want to learn what's best buy I find quite conflicting advice, so I figured joining a betta fish forum would help. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.