Betta Fish Forum banner

New Beta...

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  twirlyswirly 
#1 ·
I know many people have topics like these. I am new to Bettas, I need to take care of them properly. Well, I know you've probably answered many of these topics but I don't really like asking questions and stuff on other people's threads. So..

I am buying a betta tommorrow. I had 2 when I was like 5, and they lasted until I was 7 and loved them. Barney and Bubblegum:p Anyways, I don't really remember what I need. I have one of those small plastic bowls that I got for free when I bought a TV....hehe. But I have a LARGE feeling that that's not enough. ha. So, If anyone could tell me what I need I would be very appreciative. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on him/her but anything that is ABSOLUTELY needed I will buy it to keep my Betta safe and happy :)

#5 ·
If you really want your betta to flourish, go with a minimum of a 2.5 gallon tank (5 gal. would be even better). There are some pretty hex ones out there. Get a micro heater for it (or the appropriate size). That way he/she has room to swim and won't be swimming in his own pee/poop all the time. The larger the tank, the less changes in water quality will affect them. Depending on the size of the tank you choose, you may need to cycle the water first. Let us know what you decide on and we can help you with that or figuring out how often to change your water.

My betta is very happy in an unfiltered 5 gallon tank I got from Freecycle. There was a sponge filter in it, but I pulled it to put in a different tank. I may put it back, I may not. Depends. He's got gravel on the bottom and some silk plants to hide in and a heater to keep him warm. He's a happy dude and swims the WHOLE tank and makes bubble nests. I change about 25-50% each week using a $10 gravel vac.

Welcome to the forum!

#9 ·
Bettas often change colors, due to stress, disease and such. I bought a cherry red betta on a store before, and when it had Ich, it turned dark red, almost brown even. After about a week, the Ich was gone and after another week, he was back to the beautiful cherry red he is.

Some cases also report bettas in petshops with very pale coloring, and when put in a suitable tank with the right parameters, bloom into amazing colors the owner has not seen in him before :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.