Betta Fish Forum banner

Source for Indian Almond Leaf (IAL)

2K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  fiky95 
#1 ·
I just received some IAL I ordered from Thailand. After doing a Google search I ran across this place on the second or third page:

http://www.bettawan.com/index.html

I ordered 50 sun-dried Terminalia catappa leaves for $11.50; they arrived two weeks after I placed my order online (very convenient, use PayPal, shipping incl. in price of leaves). They have other leaves and teabags, too.

I thought I would share my good fortune and a good lead.

#5 ·
I get mine off ebay from Amy, who is either in malaysia or singapore. I usually get the C grade leaves which are cheaper but are not perfect leaves. sometimes they have free shipping

#7 · (Edited)
I get mine from Amy Lim on eBay also, I'm pretty sure she's from Singapure.:)
She has great prices and the leaves are AMAZING quality too! I get the C+ ones and they are awesome, arrived very well packaged as well.:) Here's a link if you were wondering ↓
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amys-50g-C-INDIAN-ALMOND-CATAPPA-LEAVES-betta-plecos-/250855608840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6828d208
Can't recommend her enough!

Btw: Forgot to say, she included a few tea bags for free just so I can try which method I prefer and the free shipping on the C+ ones is still running.:)

#14 ·
That's actually the biggest advantage of IAL opposed to things like Aq. salt - long term use is actually beneficial and not harming! :) Absolutely agree with majesticstorm :)

Personally, having a tail biter, I can't imagine not using them anymore and speaking of tail biting, he hasn't bitten in a few weeks (I don't want to jinx it) and I do believe IALs are one of the main factors.:)

Also, if you're having issues with high pH, they are great at gradually lowering it! :) There are plenty and much more put together lists of things they are good for tho, so just google them if you're curious.:)

God, I do need to chill down a bit, I'm getting annoying with my IAL raves! :D

#13 ·
I put it in my bettas' water all the time. It has antibacterial properties and helps with fin regrowth and all that good stuff. Plus, the tannins that leaches out sort of darkens the water, making them more comfortable since they are blackwater fish.

I just got my 100g C+ IAL from Amy too! She also gave me 2 free catappa seeds. Her prices are much cheaper, and she's such a sweet person. Sticking to Amy :)

#17 ·
*virtual highfive xD*

Oh tell me about it! I'm seriously paranoid about leaving nowadays. My Mom plugged out the filter accidentally once, which killed the cycle and resulted into fin rot. Then I left for a short trip a few weeks ago and my poor guy bit himself terribly.... oh well! I wish they could just travel with us.xD

I'm glad your guy is ok! Cold water can be such a pest. You are totally making me even a bigger IAL fan than I already am! xD

#20 ·
ok makes sense i am going to be ordering some ASAP lol right now i am medicating with Epsom salt trying to treat what i believe is fin rot. fiky95 u say you have a tail biter? i have always believed that my betta has the same problem but my girlfriend doesn't believe me. have you witnessed tail biting before? thank you alll for raving about the IAL haha def convinced me its the way to go.

#23 ·
Hello :)
Do you have some pictures you could share of him? That'd be the easiest way to tell :) Do the edges seem discolored or are there literally just chunks missing?
Yes, unfortunately, I do! It's pretty rare that you actually catch them biting, but if you do, it looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1n0T2gP3_Y
Epsom salt is not really going to help with fin rot, I don't think :( It's apparently great against bloating, but Aquarium salt is usually the way to go with fin rot.
Biting can proceed into fin rot easily tho, so you might be right either way. The first thing to do would be lots of warm, clean water (i.e. increasing water changes depending on the size of your tank). I keep mine at 82°F/28°C, because I find it really speeds up the healing process.:)
The leaves are GREAT in these "recovery" cases, especially if it is biting.:) I'll see how I get on with my little tail biter (he hasn't bitten himself in a few weeks!) and I'll definitely post something about it! :) I don't want to act like "a know it all" before I'm 100% sure that what I'm doing is right.:)

Btw: I'm not sure where you are from, but in case you are dealing with some serious fin rot that doesn't want to go away, I recommend Sera Baktopur Direct, that thing is a beast against pretty much anything bacterial! But that's seriously the LAST step to take.

Jeez, I need to stop talking, really! xD

Good luck! :) xxx

#27 ·
Sounds like a brilliant addition to any betta tanks but are they alright for NPTs? Do they have any effect on shimps, snails or other fishes? Bit curious, kinda considering adding it to my tanks once i get them set up. Sounds awesome from all the stuff it does.

#29 ·
They are absolutely fine for NPTs! I would just make sure they aren't blocking the light! :) They really just and only beneficial, it seems like.:) Any "blackwater fish" should love them! :) You can read more about it underneath any of Amy's listings.:) I have a NPT and a nerite snail.:)

Please don't hate me for replying all the time! xD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amys-50-gra...525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589eb6b2e5

#30 ·
Shrimp LOVE IAL . I mean LOVE. They love crawling all over them and eating them and hiding in them. The baby shrimplets use IAL for shelter and eat micro things off them.

As for NPT's , you don't want to add like 3 leaves bc the water will get so dark light won't reach the roots or whatever. But one leaf is fine.

#34 ·
Can I just say that your bettas are all amazingly pretty? :) That's awesome that shrimp love them! I don't have a shrimp myself, but I've been obsessing over those NPT nano cubes with shrimp, oh well...:)

Fiky, you are very appreciated whether you know it or not :)
aww thank you! :) I always feel extremely annoying! :D Seriously miss OFL for these sorts of topics, she'd sort us all out with some extreme knowledge!

#35 ·
Its alright. It helps having the replies, I tend to post quite a lot as well, just that i post on multiple threads so it doesnt seem like i spamming (hopefully) :D Now i just have to figure out how a IAL will fit in to my NPT theme......

Brown leaf in a very greeeeeeeeen tank will look off, might have to stuff them in one of the driftwood voids....

#36 ·
haha I don't even post that much I don't think, but I got really passionate about the IAL thing! xD You are not spamming at all, I am.xD

It does look a bit off, but I'm so glad it helps... I think breaking them into smaller pieces kinda helpes them to blend it, but I'm sure you'll figure something out! :) Actually, you need to post a picture when you do, so I can copycat it! xD

#40 ·
Alright :)

Yeah, personally, I think I should log myself out for at least 3 days and calm down.xD

Anyway, my approach is - instead of looking at it as if it was an aquascaping fail, I like to consider it an attempt to mimic the natural environment! xD I would love to try some actual aquascaping in the future tho once I'm not necessarily broke and rather established.xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.