Betta Fish Forum banner
4M views 13K replies 2K participants last post by  Smaragdina_is_best@12345 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm sure everyone would love to see the variety of betta tanks/bowls that we have, so post pics of yours here!:-D I have to find my camera, and then I'll get pics of my tanks :)

#6,523 ·
Make sure whatever heater you get is ADJUSTABLE. maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen an adjustable one in store for that cheap.

#6,526 ·
Tank size is a diff. Subject. Adjustable has nothing to do w/ tank size. Adjustable heaters allow you to set it to whatever temp you want. Some heaters (cheaper ones) only allow one temperature which is not what you want. Just read the box; if it says adjustable then it's good. If not- you don't want it.

#6,530 ·
what is pictured is the popular 100W version.
Top Fin has been known to go out, bust open and get stuck on/fry your fish.

#6,534 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Squidward, don't get upset. I have 4 bettas and no heaters yet, I live in Arizona and my room is hot and so far the water temps never go under around 76, most times they are way above that. I just visited my family in New Jersey where you live - my brother in law has had a betta for 2 years with NO heater, NO filter, and he looks pretty good, although a bit bored. (I sent betta toys for him but it's not easy to convince people to take really good care of a betta when they both work, take care of a 1 and 3 year old, and the Petco people told them it's total b.s. that bettas need anything . ..

Anyway- all I am saying is that I DO spoil my bettas, but one day without a heater in the hot New Jersey summer will be FINE. If you didn't adopt him he would be sitting in a dirty cup at Petco with no heater or filter tonight. Get him a heater soon, sure, give him room, read up on how to make a betta happy. . .. but don't let people make you crazy because for one day you don't have a heater.

It's SUMMER. I was in NJ the other day and it was 100 degrees. Calm down, people.

I'm not getting heaters until the fall. My fish look beautiful, happy, active, brighter than when I got them, I learned a ton by reading, they each have their own tanks, caves, fake plants, real plants, thermometers, filters, bio-active filter material, peat granules for lower ph, Mopani wood for lowering the ph, filter baffles, leaf hammocks, aquarium salt, tank covers and lights, and 4 different kinds of food.

But I didn't get all that stuff in one day. It probably took me 2 months to get everything together and learn about what I needed.

Pet stores tell people bettas need barely anything, so it's not unusual for someone not to know what to get until they start googling and asking questions after they came home from the store with less than what they really needed for the poor fish.

#6,537 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's SUMMER. I was in NJ the other day and it was 100 degrees. Calm down, people.
Please...be a little more respectful. I and many other users on this forum are only looking out for the welfare of the fish.
I live in FLORIDA. Have lived in FLORIDA and TEXAS my whole life. I only go up north to MAINE during FALL and WINTER to my hunting property for a maximum 1 month.
So I don't LIVE in NJ. I don't know the weather there. HOWEVER, I do know that weather ALWAYS changes. And one shouldn't just rely on hot weather to make sure their fish tanks are at the proper temperature. Alls it takes is a cloudy or rainy day to lower the water temperature. And yes, there are some bettas out there that will suddenly grow ill in water that isn't at the correct temperature.

ALSO, squidward89, unless you don't have an AC or keep your fish tanks outside, you should be buying a heater for BOTH fish. Your fish rely on YOU for everything. You can make yourself feel comfortable anytime.
I wasn't harassing you. I look out for the welfare of animals and when I see one animal's living conditions isn't par but yet the owner buys another animal and doesn't even bother to purchase the ONE thing their animal needs for their condition to be par. I have approached each member I've seen that has poor living conditions for their bettas.
What you see as cloudy water could be a very good explanation. Not just poor quality levels. Most of these users will recommend you getting a good quality heater because you shouldn't be relying on weather to regulate their water temps for you. LASTLY, I did tell you one of the best heaters to get AND where I purchased mine. AND I gave you links to TWO of the best thermometers to use.

#6,536 · (Edited)
You are quite welcome. :)

We should try to take care of these bettas but let's not get crazy on someone - What I mean is that my nearest pet store is about a 2 minute drive from me. I have seen the same bettas in horrible little cups for over 6 weeks there. No one is heating them, and the air conditioning in those stores is pretty strong. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about their water temp, I am only saying that I have seen this before on this site- people lose it on someone who is new and has a betta for one or two nights without a heater. .. Come on. If someone is on this site they mean well and are trying to get information.

Also .. I didn't see anyone tell some of the people here who posted a pic of their TINY novelty betta bowls that that was wrong. I think putting a betta in a bowl that looks to be only one quart is much worse than a night or two in summer with no heater.

#6,538 ·
i told you i will get the heaters. and here's some more personal info about me.. i'm 23 i just moved out on my own in nj no less.. making close to minimum wage and affording everything. .. living in a one bedroom apt with one ac unit in one of the rooms! i saw some of ur pics of ur cats and dogs with collars too mc nutty.. thats not good for them! what if they jump a fence and hang themselves? i grew up with cats some were in and out door we never put collars on them!! CHANGE IT!... no one likes to be harassed. it's one thing to make a statement and suggest.. not tell people i'm disppionted you didn't buy 2 $30-50 heaters. it's none of your business what i do. when i do it. or what i spend... here's the jersey coming out i guess..

#6,540 ·
I don't get pushy unless someone pushes me.
And really? You're really mature to start making fun of someone on here. Obiviously you've got some personal issues to do that.
By the way, ALL my animals have panic release collars. Thanks for the thought, I already thought of it before you did.

#6,544 ·
No...you push when you showed your immaturity by making fun of me. The panic releases always work. They are checked DAILY and tossed/replaced with a working panic release collar should they be faulty in anyway.
But whatever, I'm not going to feed you.

#6,542 ·
I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I am just using common sense and looking at the big picture.

This person has a good intention and wants to learn how to be a good pet owner, and now feels crappy about his/her good intentions because people are being melodramatic or alarmist. And there are tons of fish sitting in much worse conditions than what he/she has for his/her fish. He/she said they are getting a heater, why are we getting hysterical about a few days when they sit for weeks in a Petsmart or Petco in a poop-laden cup with no heat and air conditioning?

And FYI I have thermometers on all my tanks, so I DO know what the temperatures are, and what the fluctuations in temperature can be. I look at them every day.

To me, when I hear someone take a betta home and try their best to take decent care of them, I am happy, because I see most bettas rot away at big box stores until they die. My friend has a betta in a small bowl. I don't say to them "OMG they NEED this, that, etc! You jerk, you better go to the store and buy ___ right now!" Why? .. . Because I know I get more bees with honey than vinegar. I say "Hey you know what? There is a small tank on sale at _____ that would let you see the betta better . . and fit more tank ornaments for it to play with. It will be more lively maybe and more fun to watch!" Or something like that.

I don't know. . my Petco has the last sad saps still sitting in cups from probably late May. And we are yelling at this person for not having a heater tonight when it's summer time.

#6,547 ·
Alright sorry for hijacking the thread... Sometimes helping people is the wrong thing to do no matter how good your intentions are. :/

#6,549 · (Edited)
I too came here looking for new pictures of betta homes and found this. :\

Helping people is good... always. The way you do it though has to be with love, respect, compassion and understanding. Share what you know and let them make their own conclusion.

Inspiring good betta keeping instead of forcing it.

There is more than one right way to take good care of your fish.

We were all ones there, at the beginning without a clue. Some of us are still there and we are learning. Luckily our fishes are patient and hardy, and will be forgiving of our faults. It takes a long time to work your way to ideal conditions, and some never get there... but then again, I don't live in ideal conditions and somehow I mange to thrive too, so will the fishies. Anything is better than those tiny cups. And one can improve from there, but not all at ones.

How about we bury the hatchet at this point and get back on topic.

Who has any betta homes to show us?

#6,555 ·
i love it.. i had squidward in the first picture of the bowl for a day..he was moving a lot but only around in circles i felt bad. the next day i changed it again to this tank. yeah i love the lights.. even though i usually just keep it on the white lights. i think it looks the prettiest. he seems like a very happy fish..

#6,551 ·
Profanity is against the rules. Period. If you can't think of more eloquent ways to express your anger... then you probably shouldn't be saying anything at all. We have people of all ages on here, including young people. Profanity has no place here.

Looking back, I think I was the one who brought up the heater initially, but I had no idea it would turn into this. Heaters are a good idea. I would say they are required no matter where you live. If you live somewhere hot, great, yours will probably almost never kick in. It's just there for if the temperature falls. And unless you live somewhere that never gets below 78, the temperature will fluctuate. I go to Puerto Rico once a year for vacation, and the temperature fluctuates and dips there... IN THE CARIBBEAN.

Also, it is summer. Your betta will be fine for a few days until you can get a heater. If it was winter, I would be like... OMG GO GET ONE NOW!!!But it isn't. I live in Wisconsin, and it's been over 100 with 100% humidity lately. I've been aiming fans at my fish tanks to get the temp DOWN. But trust me, when winter comes, I sure am glad for that heater. Wisconsin winters = :shock:

You seem to want to do right by your fish. Get good heaters and thermometers when you can afford it. Then post lots of pics of their progress!

#6,552 · (Edited)
Profanity is against the rules. Period. If you can't think of more eloquent ways to express your anger... then you probably shouldn't be saying anything at all. We have people of all ages on here, including young people. Profanity has no place here.

Looking back, I think I was the one who brought up the heater initially, but I had no idea it would turn into this. Heaters are a good idea. I would say they are required no matter where you live. If you live somewhere hot, great, yours will probably almost never kick in. It's just there for if the temperature falls. And unless you live somewhere that never gets below 78, the temperature will fluctuate. I go to Puerto Rico once a year for vacation, and the temperature fluctuates and dips there... IN THE CARIBBEAN.

Also, it is summer. Your betta will be fine for a few days until you can get a heater. If it was winter, I would be like... OMG GO GET ONE NOW!!!But it isn't. I live in Wisconsin, and it's been over 100 with 100% humidity lately. I've been aiming fans at my fish tanks to get the temp DOWN. But trust me, when winter comes, I sure am glad for that heater. Wisconsin winters = :shock:

You seem to want to do right by your fish. Get good heaters and thermometers when you can afford it. Then post lots of pics of their progress!
++++++1
Will we ever get a "like" button?
I don't agree with that :) a person who is helpful and can take criticism actually makes a very respectable character.
I fully agree with ya on this.

So without further ado....shall we get this thread back on topic/peaceful?

#6,563 ·
Yup, it's a piece of driftwood I bought from PetSmart and boiled and soaked the daylights out of it. I actually got it from the terrarium section, but it was a little too long, so I cut it down with a hacksaw and then sanded the cut edges. Then boiled it again for another few hours, then soaked it overnight until the water was basically almost clear.

And yes, a little piece of wisteria (which I've never had any luck with... I'm trying it again though!) and two java ferns. My fear was that somehow my old silk plants were poisoning the water or something. I don't know. I'm paranoid. I think the newly set up tank looks really relaxing and zen. I like it.

#6,561 ·
Actually real driftwood is easy to come by. At least here it is, the guy I bought my assassins off goes out around transmission lines (I don't know what that is) and he finds these on the side of the road. Really nice pieces of wood which would go for 50$ in a store.
I paid like 11.99 for my small piece at petsmart -_-" I wish I had known.

#6,562 ·
I'd be a little worried about putting something that was found off the side of the road into my tanks.
My petsmart doesn't sell driftwood...and my petco sells the fancy designed/over priced ones :p

#6,565 ·
Well it's up to the driftwood hunter to take good specimens and boil them. THese were pulled up in the process of construction I assume (whatever transmission lines are) and tossed. Little chemicals I'm sure, nothing that won't come off with a good scraping and boil. All driftwood comes from outside!! :)

#6,567 ·
I use driftwood or Mopani Wood from the reptile or fish sections at Petmsart too, and also someI got from my really beautiful natural planted local aquarium store. The tags on the reptile wood said they were fish safe too. I just look for the smallest pieces every time I go. I bought a small saw that was on sale at Home Depot because I want to cut one of the larger pieces but I am not sure that will work.

I like the driftwood for helping naturally lower the ph. Our water is like an 8 or over when it's right out of the tap. Driftwood and Fluval Peat Granules help me get that a little under control.

I don't boil the wood, I soak it in a bowl for a few days most of the time but occasionally I let it make my aquariums look a bit brackish, I figure it's better to have the water look a little brownish than have the ph so high.

I was given 2 pieces of driftwood- Tried to soak them and so far they won't sink. Not sure if I want them floating or not.