Betta Fish Forum banner

Rescues

466 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Gizmothefreaky 
#1 ·
So I was in my local pet super store today, and I was looking through the bettas, as I do every time... And I found two boys with SBD, so, being helpful, I took them to the guy working in fish and informed him they were unhappy. I asked what they did with fish who were sick and was horrified when he felt the need to make a toilet flushing sound in response... Needless to say I went and spoke to the manager and told her about the situation, and she allowed me to adopt the two boys for a dollar each, and one is a $15 DbTHM, the other is just a DbT. I am pleased that I got them at a discount, but seriously... They should not be in such condition anyway.

So, one boy is just somewhat floaty, and can stay upright mostly, but will float practically belly up when he sits still, this is him:

But the other boy is much worse off... With a sore on his side from floating and being exposed to the air for too long. Poor thing. :

I am doing an Epsom salt treatment for both boys, and have also added rooibos to their water to help with their recoveries!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh I am so glad that you got the poor babies!!! They will have a good home with you I am sure :) I cannot believe they flush sick fish:evil: They need informing that it not not only very cruel but not an environmentally sound practice!

Good on you for making a difference to these poor bettas lives, you are wonderful :) and good luck with their recovery.

#6 ·
SO glad you took them to give them a fair chance at survival...they look so gorgeous. It's sad, and every time I go to the pet store there are so many in the same condition or worse...I wish I could save them all :( I hope they can make a speedy recovery with no complications!

#7 ·
I have temporarily dubbed them Bloaty (the first male) and Floaty (the second male).

Bloaty looks amazing, he is coloring up and swimming and eating well, I just want to wait until he is all better before getting another picture, besides his water is tinted really dark with tannins, so it wouldn't be a good pic.

Floaty is still sitting on his side at the surface, but if disturbed he can make his way around the tank with effort, even moving to the bottom. He shows a little bit of interest in food, but just can't grab it, I'll try again tomorrow.

#8 ·
Hahahahahahahahaaha, love the names. Hopefully they don't live up to them for long, LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.