Betta Fish Forum banner

Local betta breeder?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  SingSangSung 
#1 ·
My second betta Raimund died today at 6pm. I realized store bettas are all sick and i just cannot fix them. So i want healthy betta at first. Is there any local breeder in torramce ca? i couldnt find any through google. all i can find was local aquarium stores. I will dirve to the home or meeting place as far as an hour distance.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your betta. :( I'm going to be breeding in a month or so, but that doesn't help you right now. I'm only like 35-40 mins from Torrance. I do have a couple females that were "surprises" in an order from someone, but I don't know if you're interested in a female, but neither have "flashy" colors. I hope you find something. :(

#3 ·
I must say I disagree with your statement of 'all' store bettas are sick. I've gotten 2 bettas, a baby one from Petco and a male veiltail from Walmart - and they are both healthy, especially my baby one. I would ask the store where you get your bettas when they get their shipments in and go get one on that day, when they are fresh and haven't been in those cups for too long yet. That would increase your odds, and even if another one dies on you - just know that he died in comfort and not in a tiny cup :) I'm not saying don't get one from a local breeder - just offering a suggestion for a potentially healthy store betta. I'm sorry to hear about Raimund btw :(

#4 ·
Um...That statement is completely false. All my petstore betta's are healthy. Jusr because you got one that was doesn't mean all of them are

#11 ·
i think all stores handling bettas different way, and it all depends on employ and management. I know 6 stores in my town that i go and only 2 stores trying to take care of the bettas. One store changing the water once a wk and another one 2 times a week. The other stores i am leaving all in tears because it a lot of sick and dead bettas. And one time i ask how often they change the water and the answer was-''when it dirty'' .

#15 ·
The health of a store's fish depends on the employees. I've seen it in Smarts and Cos both where the fish look great and where the fish look awful. It just depends on the location and how much those employees care. Sounds like the place you got yours from didn't really care so much and the fish paid the price. :(

Have you considered buying online through a place like AquaBid? Many fish there come from great breeders and are quite healthy. Plus it's easy to pick out exactly what you'd like.

#17 ·
It is -- but for the quality of betta and service, it's worth it to some to spend the extra money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.