Betta Fish Forum banner

Proud new owner

610 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Lion Mom 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

My family and I are proud new owners of a male betta named Mr. Fish (our 5 and 4 year old were the ones that came up with the name :-D). I want to first start off by saying thank you to all the helpful people of this forum because I frequented this forum while I was picking out the right tank, cycling the tank and all other questions I had.

My question is this; I picked up our new fish yesterday and bought Aqueon Betta Food (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/betta-food.htm)at the same time. From reading from other posts, I notice that a lot of you say to feed the fish once a day. However, the instructions on the food container say "feed several times daily in small amounts that will be consumed by fish within three minutes." What is the right amount to feed Mr. Fish? I want to make sure he is being fed right and not overfeed him. Thanks ahead of time to all of you that help!

#2 ·
=) Welcome to the forum! I don't have much experience as of yet, but most of what I see on the forum is 1 pellet twice a day. Also, I believe those that use pellets pre-soak the pellet as well to avoid bloating of the betta. If it helps any, the size of a bettas stumich is about that of its own eye; its incredibly small! =) I hope this helps a small amount while you wait on a more experience reply! ^_^

And congratulations on your betta fish! All the best of luck to you and your fish!

#3 ·
I feed mine twice a day and only what they will eat within a few min, thats really all they need..overfeeding them is not a good idea ofcourse. it will take some experimentation as to how much he will eat but after a few tries you will figure it out

#4 ·
One pellet a day could starve your if the pellets aren't big enough. And if they ARE that big they need to be broken up. Most of us here feed 2-3 pellets in the morning, 2-3 pellets at night, feeding every day and fasting on Saturdays. With an occasional bloodworm instead of pellets. My betta gets bloaty belly easily so I only feed him 2-3 pellets in the mornings. :) I use Atison's Betta Food and I love it. And so does he, he got so excited and lively when I started feeding him it.

Never underestimate the power of your food. <3

Also, soaking pellets and freeze-dried anything in your tank water before feeding it to the fish is better for the fish because of all the air compacted in the food can cause bloating. If you want to see how much you're really feeding your fish, put a pellet in a glass of the tank water and see how big it expands. Also, some people who can't get their fish to eat pellets soak the pellets in garlic juice. Just a few suggestions. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.