Betta Fish Forum banner

Small Blue Fish ideas?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Sheldon31 
#1 ·
Hello,

My bf has a 10 gal tank and we were at the LFS the other day. He saw some really pretty little blue fish that he'd love to put in his tank. Thing is, we forgot what they were called. We started researching electric blue tropical fish but what came up was Cichlid and Hup, both of which seem to need a huge tank. Do any of you know of a small blue fish that will be happy in a 10 gal? (Besides a betta) Thanks!

#4 ·
Most schooling fish aren't as friendly as predatory fish such as cichlids and bettas. However, they eventually realise your presence equals food and they will come to be a lot more assertive with time.

A heavily planted tank and a decent-sized school will also cut down on skittishness in a lot of schooling fish.

At the moment neon tetras or even green neon tetras come to mind, but a group of colourful guppies might work. I had some bluegrass guppies and the male was a stunning light blue.

#5 ·
I've seen a few blue glofish as well, did you maybe see something like that?

I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not they're compatible with bettas.

#6 ·
I was thinking neons or cardinals? My tetras were skittish at first but now they are quite bold little fellas. In groups of 7 to 8 they seem to be a lot less nervous of your presence maybe because greater numbers mean greater security. Like any other animal once they know who feeds then they become very friendly.

#9 ·
I thought Danios were fin nippers? My mother in law has a school of 8 Zebra Danios and they don't stop moving for 1 second are very speedy swimmers. Personally I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than 20g and a long tank as well as they do seem to need a lot of room. Are you planning on putting them in with a Betta? I wouldn't advise it in a 10g. Some Bettas get stressed out with very active fish and like I said, I'm sure Danios are fin nippers so I'm assuming (i know, very bad) that Glofish would too.

#15 ·
Actually, some people keep guppies and bettas together very successfully. I'm not saying it's a good idea for anyone to try, but with a docile enough betta it is possible.

However, I'd stick to safer fish. If you like guppies, have a look at Endlers Livebearers as an alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.