Betta Fish Forum banner

Sweet smelling film?

539 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  StarlaThornhill 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm new so if I'm posting this in the wrong forum let me know and I'll move it.
I've got two bettas in separate 2.5 gallon tanks. They have the same heater, filter, pebbles and artificial plants. I set the tanks up at the same time. They've been living in the tanks for a few days. One of the tanks is fine, its staying clean and that boy (Dex) is happy, he's building a bubble nest in one corner. The other one is worrying me. The other fish (Lev) seems happy but hes not blowing bubbles, and there is a cloudy sweet smelling film developing on the top of the tank. What is causing this? Should I do a partial water change even tho the tank has only been there a couple of days? The tank holds pretty well at 79 degrees and I can see the filter spitting out water so I know it's working. The filter is the whisper 3i and the heater is a top fin 7.5 watt. I'm really worried my guy is gonna get sick :-?

#6 ·
I would do a 50 - 75% water change on his tank. Remember fish are different and one tank may need more frequent water changes. With the 2.5 gallon tanks you should be doing at least twice weekly water changes. If your tank is cycling you will have to change the water as the Params dictate.
My tank is 10 gallons and still in cycling stages so I am changing water at least twice weekly myself. I go by the 50%- 75% change. I have yet to do a 100% change on my tank.
There is a great sticky on water changes in this forum. Give that a once over =) Good luck and post pics of your fish babies soon!

#7 ·
Ok, I will do the water change and look over that sticky :) I will post an update in a couple of days whether or not the film has returned. I know they can form protein films pretty easily, I'm just worried about the smell! Its fruity sweet, almost like candy, except I've never smelled candy that actually smelled like that lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.