Betta Fish Forum banner

Oily Film on top of water?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LittleBlueFishlets 
#1 ·
I have an oily film on top of my 5 gallon. The rest of the water is crystal clear. I do a 50 % water change about twice a week and it will go away for about 2 days and then it comes back. Any idea what it could be, or how I could get rid of it?

Livestock: Halfmoon Betta, Zebra Nerite Snail (happened previous to introduction of Zebra Nerite so I know its not him)

Equipment: I have 2 filters, a whisper 3i and a whisper 10i. Black sand substrate, a zebra rock(at least that's what they called it at the pet store.) and 25w filter. I've washed everything thoroughly with warm water before putting it in the tank so I don't think its oil from the items...

Plants: I currently have 2 Anubias and 1 Java fern.

Chemicals: I've been using topfin betta conditioner and seachem flourish. I also use a teaspoon of aquarium salt during the 50% water change.

Food: Top fin Betta pellets and, Aqueon Freeze dried blood worms(I've been very careful not to overfeed)

#2 ·
Sounds to me like a protein scum. It typically appears when the top of the water is undisturbed for (x) amount of time. I'm not sure why it occurs, though. It just... appears. It's kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me. My fish don't like it either.
Try taking something like a tissue and whisking it over the surface. That should absorb and remove it.

#3 ·
I had read something about that? I also read that it could be avoided by adding some sort of surface agitation, but I also read that the filters should provide that agitation. The other option was a air stone. I'm replacing the Whisper 10i with a sponge filter as soon as it comes in. Maybe that will help?

#4 ·
If that disturbs the surface, it should help. I'm not 100% on that. For me, it just comes and goes without any rhyme or reason.

#5 ·
I've got lily pipes on my tank's canister filter which provide a reasonable amount of surface agitation, and even then, I can see a slight film developing right before a water change. It helps but doesn't get rid of the protein film entirely. It's just something you deal with when you feed the protein-rich foods that bettas require. Personally, I've gotten used to it being there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.