Betta Fish Forum banner

New User

956 views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  copperarabian 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I am new to this site. I actually obtained my dragon scale betta from my baby sister as a birthday present. I never really thought that i was a fish person until i got this fish! Her name is flower and i think she is absolutely gorgeous! Check out my pictures of her in my album. I have never really had a fish so i may be back on here with questions. Anything you would like to tell me would be helpful to be sure that my new betta is happier than ever! I always see these poor guys in those small cups in the stores and it makes me happy to know that i have now given one a better home! :-D

#2 ·
Welcome to the world of bettas! It's going to be fun! ;-) You have a beautiful dragon plakat there! But just to let you know, she's a he :-D!

#5 ·
Well the secret is the beard... http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=2352&pictureid=15871
You see the flap coming out of from under the gills, it's the male betta's "beard" the girls don't have it. When girls flare, their gill plates stick out but you wont see the beard, it helps the males look more impressive :D.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask and go through the forum, I understand most petstore people don't exactly know what they're talking about. :roll:

#6 ·
The reason they thought he was a she was probably because he's a plakat (short fins) so they must've gotten confused XD

#11 ·
Since he's a plakat, I doubt they'll get much longer. Plakats are zippier than other bettas because of the lack of heavy finnage, so he might just be playing around. As long as he doesn't look sick or lethargic and lies on the bottom, its fine. Must be going up for a breather :D
Girl bettas are rounder and have eggspots, males don't have eggspots, except for some young ones.. I remember ther being a thread somewhere about this... I'll find it..

#12 ·
Ok, sorry I couldn't find the thread X( but there are certain things you look out for; it would be easier with pics but hopefully someone else can find them lol!
The ventrals (the dangly fins in front) are longer in males
Males have beards
Males (except young ones) do not have egg spots, which are found between the ventral and anal fins
Males are more streamlined
These are all I could think of. Males make bubblenests but there have been cases of females making them as well :). Hope it helps!

#18 ·
If you're contemplating getting a heater, just get a thermometer first and track it for awhile, if the temps fluctuate too much or its too cool, you should get a heater, I live in a tropical area but I still need to have a heater in most tanks :/
You're welcome btw! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.