Betta Fish Forum banner

Revisiting the feeding question...

579 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  DefStatic 
#1 ·
So I keep hearing stuff about feeding. No more than 6 pellets twice a day. And also I hear feed as much as they will eat in 2 mins.

My Betta acts like he is starving all day. I feed 6 pellets at 8AM, and 6 at 5PM. Typically goes the weekend without eating.

But all day (this is my work tank), lately, he just spend the day in the corner I feed him in staring at me and pacing. He used to at least go swim around or hide behind the rock or plants and rest.

I never have but I am fairly certain I could easily put more than 6 pellets in and he would eat them all before any sank.

Am I going nuts? Do I just need to ignore him? I do not want to over feed.

#2 ·
Your betta's stomach is roughly the size of his eyeball, so the volume of pellets you feed him should roughly match the volume of his eyeball (usually 3-4 small pellets).

I usually feed mine twice a day, but not always. It's all up to you really... you can do more frequent but smaller meals throughout the day, or less frequent but larger meals. When you first start out, keep an eye on his stomach after eating... if it looks bloated, you could probably taper down the amount of food you feed him next time.

#3 ·
He seems healthy and fine, just wish he would stop begging like a dog in the corner he typically gets fed out of LOL.

I have gotten him to eat off my finger too. And he started flairing at his reflection again, which had stopped for a few weeks.

And just as I say this, he goes and starts exploring again LOL.

#4 ·
Hi

Not to hi-jack the thread here... but as a newbie, as in very first betta ever and only having him 2 days. There is so much confusion about feeding... im told only 2-3 pellets a day cause overfeeding is really bad. the package of Hikari Betta Bio-Gold perfect sized pellets.. Since having my boy home he has taken the pellets and chewed them some then spits out some of it... I know it could take several days to adjust to a new food. But today I bought Hikari micro wafers for small tropical fish.. he ate all three pellets. Can i use the micro wafers? and continue to get him to accept the the Bio-Gold?

Thank you all for any input I appreciate it

#5 ·
I would have tried New Life Spectrum if I were you. But I do not know for sure the answer to your question.

I will say I have read many places, and about many types of fish, that over-feeding is a HUGE problem. Too many people just keep feeding and feeding because their fish will keep eating and eating. Not good.

Also, the more you feed, the more they poop. And the more food that gets missed goes to the bottom. These cause water problems.

#8 ·
My Betta and I have an easy system. At feeding, I drop one pellet (Omega One) in front of him at a time with a tweezer. I hear him chew it. Then he is at attention for another.
I give four/five total, (takes 30 seconds) then he shows slightly less interest. Then repeat for dinner. He is big and may be a King. He does not show much interest in the freeze-dried plankton/brine shrimp, etc.

#9 ·
@ newbetta guy ... I don't know where you are shopping, whether it's a small, privately owned store or a Petco or Petsmart. I do know that where I am, both of these brands ARE available at Petco, but they are NOT shelved next to the Betta display - they are several aisles over with some other foods. Also, I know you mentioned you spent like $60 for a 2 gallon tank - and if you have the space and can still take it back, you may want to consider checking out Wal-Mart. They have 5 gallon tanks there with hoods, lights, and filters included for $29 plus tax.

#10 ·
i dont have the room for a 5 gal right now... im sure he will do awesome in the 2 gal... and walmart 5 gal setups here are 34.99 plus tax... and they didnt have any lol... the $60 was for everything.... tank hood light filter heater gravel decoration live plant and Amquel and Novaqua conditioners so not just $60 for the tank lol

#11 ·
I typically feed my bettas 6 pellets a day, divided into two meals. Lately though, I've been switching it up on them and have started only feeding four pellets in the morning and feeding them frozen brine shrimp for dinner. They seem to like it. They get the brine shrimp about three to four times weekly. I'm not quite used to doing it yet so I sometimes forget to feed the brine shrimp to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.