Betta Fish Forum banner

scales missing?

953 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Laki 
#1 ·
So it's impossible to get a picture but I just got home and noticed Lakitu is perhaps missing scales on the black part of his head.. I thought it was a fungus but I looked closer and it's just shiny under the light..:shock:

He is active, eating and I'm wondering what the heck could have caused it? Could he have gotten stuck? But there's really nothing to get stuck in :/

What does missing scales look like? And should I mix up a salt mixture?

#2 · (Edited)
I have one that is missing scales just as yours. He had a couple missing when I got him and it just progressed. But then again, this is the fish that is very suicidal and I've had to literally rescue him many times from getting stuck in/under rocks, substrate, cups, plants, etc. He is not in a bare bottom, very minimal tank because he just can't seem to stay out of trouble.

Missing scales not a whole lot you can do other then keep the water clean (keep up on your regular water changes, you may want to add in a small one each week to keep it super clean. Stress Coat and tannins are great. You can either use Stress Coat as your main water conditioner, or add in a few drops along with your regular conditioner. Make sure there isn't anything rough in there that could of caused it. It may of been a one time accident of being overly curious and got stuck trying to get to something on the bottom, but it's better to check just in case.

Usually they grow back.. unsure how long it takes though =(
The coloring and locations vary fish by fish.. but it really sounds like it's missing scales. Keep an eye on them and see if it gets bigger, or changes color.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks! I will do a 25% change today after dinner.

He's still acting tough and puffing out his cheeks just daring me to ask what happened!

The other night when I did a 100% change I let one IAL sink to the floor and I caught him tunneling under it but then it really went flat, I wonder if he tried to go underneath it again.

All I know is that it wasn't there last night. He resides on my desk (which I practically live at) so it wouldn't have gone unnoticed. I'll keep an eye :)

Your fishie is "suicidal"?!?! That's not funny in a very funny way! ^.^ Oh my. I wonder if some betta prefer to perish in a pet store! They certainly seem to take for granted what they have!

#4 ·
Yeah, I blame it on over curiosity for your guy lol...

Yup, he will squeeze into the tightest of areas, will burrow under substrate.. even the larger polished rocks... why he gets none now. He just doesn't get that he can get hurt. He will see a water droplet on the side of the tank above the water and will continue to jump for it over and over until I wipe it away. He's just not very bright I tell ya.. but I love him all the same lol

#7 ·
you bet! I've already been staring at him more than before. I usually get bored of watching tv and watch him for a while. He's such a cutie ^-^ Such spunk to him. Plus I have less to do now since my poor pup is passed. :(

#8 ·
Aww I'm sorry about your pup =( Can't imagine mine ever going.. makes me tear up thinking about it.

And I do the same thing. I have 3 right next to my desk about a foot away (Desk and counter makes an L shape) and I turn to look at them quite often. Even though all I have to do is look up to watch tv, I prefer to see one of my little ones chase my finger around.

#9 ·
Thanks, I'm still depressed. I now sleep with my purple blanket in the crook of my arm like he used to sleep. :( I wish they could live forever...

And I love corner desks!! More room for little guys! :p My desk is seriously the biggest mess. Oddly enough, I can tell you exactly where everything is. Except the bag of elastics, somehow I managed to lose them.. Everything else though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.