Betta Fish Forum banner

stocking 5 gallon

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
I have a 5 gallon that is ready for stocking and I'm planing on a Betta, and maybe a mystrey snail or some ghost shirmp. If that works how many? And if you know of any thing else that could go in there feel free to list. thanks!

#2 ·
First off shrimps, they can end up as tasty snacks or friends. Be sure to get cover for your them, driftwood with java moss or any kind of aquatic moss attached to it, your ghost shrimps will get some cover, maybe a small cave for them to hide in. If your ghost shrimps survive I would suggest red cherry shrimps, they reproduce like rabbits and they'll thrive in your tank, shrimps have little bioload so I would start with five ghost shrimps, and see how they do. Shrimps eat anything, algae, leftover food, so get sinking pellets for them~

As for mystery snail AKA apple snails, one would be good. They grow big and poop a lot, just remember if they run out of things to eat, drop algae wafers or blanced vegetables in for them, or they'll die. :D

#4 ·
definitly go with shrimp over snails.. The bioload is way easier tot ake care of. In my 2.5 gallon tanks I had 1 ghost shrimp & 2 snails (spread across 3 tanks) & it was always the snails tanks that ended up dirty 1st (each also had a male betta in it). Currently I have shrimp in all of my tanks, I still have a couple snails as well, but I am going to eliminate them & seeing as none of my 10 betta's care about the shrimp i will go to a more exotic shrimp (have ghost shrimp now)

#6 ·
I'd just go for a couple of ghost shrimp personally. Maybe start with 3-5, as they will no doubt end up breeding and your betta might not end up eating all the offspring ;) You could try amanos too. Cherrys would be a bit of a risk due to their tiny size (could make a very tasty snack for a peckish betta) but you could always try them if you wanted.

Personally I'd have a nerite snail rather than an apple snail as they can grow rather large, whereas the nerites don't grow quite so big. Or you could try ramshorn, though (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not sure if they eat plants, so won't be the best choice if you've got plants in the tank.

#7 ·
Just on the size of cherries - if they get to adulthood, even though they aren't as big as most adult ghosties, they still get large. My boss females are all about an inch, some are more. Some betttas like to hunt them because they are easy to see, but as long as your tank has enough decor it should be fine.

+1 on nerite snail over apple, though I'd still go for shrimp instead. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.