Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Fish Bowls and temperature

4K views 79 replies 15 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
My wife decided out of nowhere to get a couple of bettas and showed up with two bubble shapped fish bowls to keep them in. I have a couple of things that are concerning. First off, it's starting to get cold outside. We have central air and this building is old so the apartment tends to get super cold and then really hot and then the cycle repeats during the winter.

I've also read that the bettas should be kept at over 75 degrees water temperature. I have a medical condition that causes me to get lightheaded and faint and that tends to occur when I get over-warm and over 75 degrees is pushing it for me. I tend to feel normal between 70 and 75.

Now I know that there's no way a heater could fit in these bowls. They're perfectly round and small (big enough for the betta to swim around in, but not big enough to get a heater in).

I'm just worried that the poor fish will get sick or die off from the temperature fluctuation and the cold.

My wife has shot down the idea of getting a fish tank for each betta. She wants them in the bowls and she thinks that they're going to be fine.

Are my fears unwarranted or is there something we need to do before the temperatures get too crazy? I'm just very concerned because I had aquariums for years and I ALWAYS hated bowls because they were so hard to regulate.

See less See more
#2 ·
low watt reptile heating pads work well ( no more than like 10w) just make sure u have a thermometer to check your temp w/ to make sure it doesnt overheat. my 9w one (natures heat brand) kept my 2g right at 80 deg...I have since upgraded to a 25w adjustable submersible heater so my poor turtle can have his heat pad back lol. depending on the size of your bowl u might be able to fit them both on the same pad (with something between to bowls of course to obstruct thier views of each other)

#3 ·
The other issue is that the bowl for the female is half the size as the one for the male so I'm afraid to use an unregulated heater on it. I'm desperately afraid of freezing or cooking the fish. I wish my wife had gotten a couple of small heatable aquariums instead of these stupid bowls. I always hated them. Bowls are so hard to really regulate and they're a pain because you have to change water every two or three days. I'm of the school of thought that you get a tank first, put in a heater and let it sit for a few hours, test the water temp to make sure the heater is functioning like you want it to, give the anti chemical stuff time to work, test the ph and adjust, and THEN get the fish. I have NEVER kept fish in bowls that stayed alive longer than a few weeks.

#4 ·
Hey there Blacklight, welcome to the forum. :)

First of all....might I say you really have the right idea here with the temperature and aversion to the little unheated bowls. Those things are betta death-traps.......already far less then ideal temps fluctuation, causing stress and making the fish prone to illness(and if you do manage to heat them it can be so hard to keep the temp steady...), the quick buildup of ammonia requiring very frequent water changes like you mentioned....
They're just terrible, I fully agree. You're very much in the right to hate them.

I'd be a little iffy of using a reptile heating pad no matter what honestly....and especially in small containers. Theres just too much that could go wrong temp-wise with something like that.....I would advise against it. :/

You seem to have the right idea about how to set up a proper fish tank(no real need to mess with the PH though....bettas can handle a wide range, so its usually best just to keep it steady and not mess with it)though. I doubt there is too much more I could say about that that you don't already know. xD

Though it may not be what your wife wants...it is probably best if you start looking at other tank options, just about anything 2.5+ gallons per fish should be fine. They do actually make 2-2.5 gallon drum bowls if your wife is set on the idea of a bowl.....they're not completely round, but they are a good long-term home size and you can fit a 25 watt heater in there.
They also make all kinds of other neat tanks in various shapes and sizes if you're wife is really against the look of your typical rectangular glass tank.....theres lots of properly-sized options to look into.

Do a little surfing for tanks around the internet, read up on our stickies and our here at the forum about betta care and whatnot, and perhaps explain and show your findings to your wife? Maybe once she understands an upgrade and heaters really are needed, she'll be a little more open to the idea of a couple slightly larger tanks.

Best of luck!

#5 · (Edited)
We have one male and one female and we don't want them to breed. What would be the best option that would take up the least amount of space? Should I get a 10 gallon tank and put a divider in and would that affect circulation and temperature? I've never had to keep fish separate before so I don't know about dividers. What's the smallest tanks that you can get a heater in? 2.5 gallons?
Also, if I get a tank with a separation in it, will it need a heater for each side?

Thankfully, my wife bought proper fish bowls and isn't keeping them in those horrid tiny bowls they keep them in in the pet stores. Those things HAVE to be animal cruelty !!!
Also, they seem to spend a lot of time sitting on the tops of the plastic plant stalks in the tank. The female doesn't like to move much and tends to keep her fins closed, however, she gets very active from time to time and she eats like a pig. The male also likes to sit up on top of the plant stalks near the water surface. He does flare fine and usually swims with droopy fins and he's usually curious and comes over whenever he sees us. He seems to eat a LOT less than the female.

Are there any warning signs here or do they sound healthy? I plan to get them into a bigger heated tank asap though. Going to head down to the Petco tomorrow.

#6 · (Edited)
So many questions as I know next to nothing about Bettas. My wife just HAD to buy two. Ugh. That makes things difficult.

Okay. So. If I have them in separate tanks, I will need to get a filter and pump and heater for each one and so.. expensive.

If I do one tank with a separator in it, how big of a tank should I get?
Are we talking more expensive here than going with two separate 2 gallon tanks?

And what about filters? For a tank with a separator, would that require a filter to do proper filtering on each side or do you just need one and would you require a heater on each side of the tank for each fish?

What size air pump do I use for these and how can I tell what I need?

Also, I've always wondered this. Would processing the replacement water through a Britta pitcher be a good idea?

#8 ·
They sound fairly healthy, but they're likely so inactive because they're cold and a little stressed.....but don't worry too much. They should perk up once they are in heated tanks and they settle into their new home. ;)
Also, watch how much you're feeding them....its best to regulate how much you give these fish rather then letting them eat however much they can in a minute or two like other species as bettas are prone to bloating and SBD(Swim Bladder Disorder). As a staple diet, they should be fed a good quality pellet like Omega One or New Life Spectrum about 2-4 pellets twice per day. For a little variety, you can also feed them some frozen or freeze-dried blood worms or brine shrimp 1-2 times per week as a treat, but be cautious when feeding freeze-dried as it is known to cause bloating issues sometimes.

Ahhh, sadly yes....generally, 2 fish, especially male and female, means twice the cost I'm afraid.
With a female and a male....divided tanks can be a little more tricky. You would practically need an NPT(Natrual Planted Tank.....a setup planted heavily with all live plants)and some pretty good filtration in a 10+ gallon to filter out the hormones the male will produce doesn't bother the female and cause her to be constantly eggy.

I would suggest getting two s separate setups for each for now unless you want to dive into setting up a 10+ gallon NPT.

Yes, a 2.5 is about the smallest you can get a heater in and heat fairly safely. Some people manage with 1 gallons, but they can be difficult to heat stability and long term its best to go with something 2.5+ anyway.
With a 2.5-5 gallon, provided you are willing to make the proper water changes, you don't necessarily need a filter. However, in anything about 5+ gallons I would suggest a filter so you can cycle your tank. Your typical HOB(hang on back)filter, baffled with some panty hose or filer sponge attached with a rubber band, should be sufficient filter-wise, but I would also suggest looking into Sponge filters. They don't produce as much current, which the bettas like, and they don't suck in and rip fins like some HOB filters are known to do(though you can baffle the intake....they make a filter sponge that fits quite well over most filter intakes). If you can stand the extra noise that an air pump makes, sponge filters are a good option to think about at least.

Price-wise it all depends on what sort of tank you go for. Theres your typical glass rectangular tanks, which are sold in kits at 5-10 gallons for about $30-$40 like bamsuddenimpact said. This comes with a hood, light, and HOB filter....but you'll still need to buy a separate heater, substrate, and decor and all that.
If you would prefer to stick with something smaller, there are these Aqueon Mini-bow kits(same deal...hood, light, filter)that are 2.5-5 gallons that are about $40.
If you're really looking to save money and you don't mind the look so much, another option are the Medium-Large sized Kritter/Pet Keepers. The Medium is about 2 gallons and the Large is about 3-5 gallons and they run about $9-$12. They can be safely heated and you can even stick a little sponge filter in there if you'd like.
Like I mentioned before, there is also the 2-2.5 gallon drum bowls that are about $20 each.

There are also lots of other 2-5 gallon kits you can get....look around, compare prices, read reviews, see what you like and what fits into your budget. Also you can hunt around local thrift stores or craigslist for cheap used tank setups if you really want to save some money.
One thing you definitely don't want to get cheaply though is the heater....for the most part, you're generally getting what you pay for with heaters. A good, fully submersible, adjustable one is generally going to run you about $15-$20 depending on the wattage....though if you're going with a 2.5-4 gallon tank I've seen a nice highly recommended Elite heater on Amazon for around $13(not sure if that includes shipping or not)if you'd be willing to buy online.

I'm not sure if the Britta filter would do any good, but if anything it'd probably do more harm then good. Generally just plain ol' tap water conditioned with a good conditioner like Prime(which works instantly, by the way)is the way to go since tap water, most of the time, contains minerals that are good for the fish. Unless your tap water is just completely atrocious and unusable for anything, even if you don't drink it, it should be just fine for your fish once conditioned.

#9 ·
So it's not a good idea to put the male and the female together in a tank with a separator?

My wife is going to be pissed when she hears that we're going to have to buy two separate tanks for them. She intended on getting the small fish bowls because they looked nice and took up no room. And she's going to yell at me and blame me for it. I know it. She's of the school of thought that they're perfectly fine in bowls.

#27 ·
My wife is going to be pissed when she hears that we're going to have to buy two separate tanks for them. She intended on getting the small fish bowls because they looked nice and took up no room. And she's going to yell at me and blame me for it. I know it. She's of the school of thought that they're perfectly fine in bowls.
None of my dam business. But then I'm famous for injecting my opinion when not asked.

Seems to me that you have other issues to work on besides fish. It might be better if you eliminate this source of contention.

Where did she get those fish? Any reputable pet dealer is willing to accept return of an unsuitable pet. Even if the dealer will not refund the purchase price, well, "It's only a three-dollar fish." So eat the six bucks and get rid of the problem. Lot's cheaper than a divorce. And a lot less stress on your relationship than what's going now. In fact, I think it's small price to pay for a valuable lesson in how to get along.

#11 ·
Yes, Its probably not best to put them in even a divided tank together in your standard artificially planted setup.

Well....I'm afraid there isn't much to be done there except maybe stick with something smaller 2.5-3 gallon tanks(though to be honest a 5 gallon really doesn't take up all that much room if you ask me...)that don't take up too much more space then the bowls if shes really set on saving space perhaps.
Bettas are hardy fish, they can survive in the small unheated bowls for a bit, but by no means are they truly 'fine'. A dog can survive in a small kennel if they're given food and water, a person can survive locked in a small room if they're given food and water.....its not too much different with a betta in a small unheated bowl. There is a big difference between surviving and thriving. Perhaps point that out to her? Show her the site? Look up a few different sources and show her? It also might not hurt to point out that she did bring home two living, breathing creatures and, just like any other pet, they deserve proper care in order to live their lives full and healthy. At least....thats the approach I take with my parents. They generally shut up after that....xD

Best of luck.

#12 · (Edited)
We might be able to get away with one tank. The girl has hardly moved since last night (unless she really likes to just float up at the top of the side of the bowl with her fins all closed). I think she's taken a turn for the worse. She's pretty listless and tapping on the tank doesn't budge her. Or... she could be sleeping.

Just one more thing that makes me feel like I'm in a race against time.

(edit. Poked her. Nothing. Put a tiny speck of treat food in the bowl. It's a miracle! She's nomming on it like mad! Maybe she was just bored and was like "meh" when I tried to rouse her. Or she sleeps really deeply)

#14 ·
It sounds to me like shes probably just very cold.....any idea what the temp could possibly be?

Depending on the size of the bowl, heaters like that could very easily over or under heat. A few people have had success with them, but really if you live in a place that gets cold with very frequent temp fluctuations thats not the best heater to get. I wouldn't recommend that.

#15 ·
I have no idea of the temp. The heater thermometer in the apartment reads 75 degrees but who knows how accurate it is? The problems in that this apartment has central air so the temperature fluctuates. For some reason, the heater will make the apartment a little overly hot, shut off, wait till it gets chilly, then turn on again. It's never a uniform temperature in here. And I also know that it got really cold in here last night which makes me fear for tonight because we're supposed to get a frost. We need to get these two into heated tanks.

#17 ·
Water temp is generally a few degrees bellow room temp anyway, so even if it is really about 75 in there it'll be a little colder in the bowls....which explains the inactivity and clamping. Thats very typical of a cold betta, and especially if the temp dropped down significantly in the night its no wonder she wasn't moving. I generally don't move myself if my room gets too cold. xD

With a place like that.....your best bet with a heats is something fully submersible and adjustable with a thermostat(always best to have a thermometer to monitor temp though as the thermostats aren't always accurate depending on brand of heater and tank size and whatnot). They're the best at keeping the water nice and steady, even if the room temp fluctuates frequently.

Best of luck getting these guys into new homes, and keep us updated!

#18 · (Edited)
I was reading on another site that it's best to give a betta at least a 5 gallon tank for heat regulation and overall health.
If this is true, with two tanks and nowhere to put two of them, it's going to be tough and expensive. Man. I wish she hadn't bought a male and female. Then I could at least divide one tank.

She's SO going to yell at me for making her do this. Hehe.

I got my apartment temp up to a little over 75 and the girl is doing better. I however, am sweltering.

As for doing the transfer to the new tanks. What's the best way to go about doing this? My wife tossed away the cups they came in. Should I heat up the water in the new tank properly, put the betta in a zip lock bag or something and float it to let the temp acclimate? Or do I get the tank to room temp first, transfer the fish directly, and then turn on the heater? Would the heater heat too rapidly for that?

#19 ·
Obviously bigger is always a little better, and while a lot of keepers find that 5+ gallons is a good size to shoot for, your fish can be just fine and live just as long in something that holds at least 2-2.5 gallons of water provided its heated and you preform the necessary maintenance(twice weekly water changes of 1 50% and 1 100% at least, though I find my fish are a little more active and perky with an extra 25%-50% per week in an artificially planted tank, if unfiltered)on it. So no, thats not necessarily true for all cases.

If the turning up the heat is really really bothering you, you could wrap the bowls in towels like starrlamia suggested and turn the heat down again. It will help at least a little bit for now probably.

#20 ·
Yeah. We went out and looked at 2 gallon tanks. With everything that we would need, it's completely out of our price range and my wife says that she's not blowing all that money on two fish. She's not upgrading anything. We couldn't find any heaters for the bowl size that we have and the bowls they had at the various shops were no bigger than the ones we have. We've moved the bowl to the bedroom that retains heat a LITTLE better (but still gets cold at night). Basically. If we bought all that we would need to set up these two bettas, we're talking almost $100 when you include the tanks, the heaters, the filters, etc... She says that she's not spending that kind of money on two three dollar fish. There were bowl heaters, but they were made for much bigger bowls (They were non adjustable and were for 2 gallon bowls which they didn't even carry at any of the stores for less than $20 each) and would cook the fish in the smaller bowls that we have ( I think that the male's bowl 3/4 of a gallon and the female's bowl is like a half gallon.

#22 · (Edited)
Nope. We're stuck with them. My wife likes them in the bowls. She says that she's always kept them in bowls when she was in college and isn't about to change. She got pissed at me when I took her down to the stores to show her what she really needed. She refuses to spend any money and said basically "They're THREE DOLLAR FISH!!!!"
It doesn't help that aquarium stuff is so damn pricy. Heck when we priced things out, a 10 gallon tank setup with everything we needed was as expensive as two 2.5 gallon tanks and no one had heaters for those. The only tanks the heaters everyone had were at least 5 gallons AND since she bought one male and one female, we need two tanks. The cost of having two five gallon tanks $15 each, heaters $15 each, cleaning supplies $15-$20. For two fish. She flat out said "NO. The bowls are fine."
Both of us have different takes on "pets". I'm more of the "You have to care for and coddle them". She's of the "It's not a person. It's a freakin' fish. They die. Get over it." kind of person.

At least I tried.
It's not going to stop me from looking for tanks at Goodwill and Salvation Army. I've seen them show up there from time to time.

#23 ·
You certainly did try, and I'm sure you did your very best. :/ Some people really just don't want to understand, no matter what sort of logic and facts you put in front of them....
Sadly, in reality there is no 'cheap pet' as sadly so many people are led to believe bettas and other fish are in particular...

If funds are really the biggest issue, there are cheaper options. Like you said, Goodwill, Salvation Army, other thrift stores, Craigslist.....Sometimes you can find 5-10 gallons for just a few dollars.
Also, did you look at the Kritter/Pet Keepers? The Medium size are just about $8-$9 each and holds about 2 gallons. You could toss in a couple of silk plants, a terracotta clay pot(less then a dollar at most thrift stores; best cheap caves EVER), a heater, and there ya go. Might not be as 'decorative' as bowls....but its cheap.

Also.....if you're really pressed for cash and you could stand to wait a couple of weeks for shipping, these are the heaters I use in my 2.5-4 gallon tanks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/271031514998?item=271031514998&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

Just $6 each and they work fantastically. Only problem is the shipping time and the cord is a little short, but that can be fixed with a small extension cord.

With those heaters and the medium sized Kritter Keepers, each full setup, including decor, would cost around $20-$25....its bare minimum, but it will work just fine, and its certainly much better then the tiny cold bowls. Plus there is always the option of upgrade later on down the rode if you are able.

I hope this helps...

#24 · (Edited)
I showed her the kritter keepers and she said that they were horribly tacky and doesn't want that on display in the apartment. She's a bit obsessive compulsive and she NEEDS something that looks pleasing to HER. She hates aquariums and thinks they looks horrible.
I told her that in that case she shouldn't have gotten tropical fish and that just got me in trouble and had her storming out of the store. She sees fish as cheap.. and then they die.
It also didn't help that all the stores were full to the brim of those "tiny BETTA KEEPERS". She was telling me over and over again, "Why, if these things are SOOOOO bad for them, why do they sell these?"

#25 ·
Well.....you may just have to stick to thrift store hunting for larger bowls or something. You can also look at craft stores, or the craft section of Walmart for some more 'bowl-like' looking containers that are a little larger and don't have that 'tacky tank' look.

Sadly, those small tanks are all a marketing scheme, playing into the myth of bettas being easy, cheap pets that can live in tiny containers because in the wild they're found in puddles......none of which is true. Its really really sad how misunderstood these animals are....

Well I wish you the best of luck...and I do hope for the sake of these poor little bettas that you are able to find something larger and heatable for them at some point, or that you can rehome them. :/ I'm sorry you're stuck with this situation, it sounds like you would be a fantastic betta keeper if you were able.

#26 · (Edited)
your wife... sigh...

I have a setup that doesnt need a tank and will keep your fish alive. (note key word, "alive" not "happy")

So you will need
1/2gallon+ jar
a 25w hagen elite heater ($10 from amazon)
a plant that can grow with its roots in water ( I have a lucky bamboo)
Maybe some java moss if you can find.

This is usually my temporary setup for an extra fish...
but as a permanant home. it is very lacking.

if your plant doesnt have a good root system, you will need to do 100% waterchanges everyday until it grows roots

after that...
you will need to do a 100% waterchange every second day.

edit: those $6 heaters work very well as well...

however shipping does take 3-4 weeks. by then it'd be well intothe cold season

and i think my tank looks better than a bowl anyday....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/12/anazapyq.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.