Betta Fish Forum banner

bamboo...

Tags
bamboo
11K views 91 replies 10 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Here's the deal, i want bamboo in my 29 gallon tank. What have i got to do to keep it alive? I don't mind blunt advice, do throw it at me...

#36 ·
I do not know who is right or wrong only from my experience with bamboo..very limited. My wife brought home a lucky bamboo from work, all the girls there had some on their work desks. So we put it in a 10g with Fred a very tough VT. The next day Fred looked awful and we took out the bamboo and did a WC. Fred was fine. The roots were kinda mushy and rotting, that is what poisoned Fred. If you do use it make sure the roots are pristine and the plant is actively growing and not in any way rotting at the root.

#38 ·
Chocolate, what ammonia? You keep mentioning it but where is it coming from?

Logisticsguy, were the roots already mushy when you got it?

The base of my bamboo actully just started turning yellow, and the roots brown, but they're still stiff. I removed it just in case.

But my other one is growing, root wise which is weird. Those are long and white/orange o_O

#39 ·
Rotting material like waste creates ammonia I have 5 and there all great I think the other person meant either the putty some places put on them or the gel some places put on them.

#40 ·
Yeah the roots were not great when the bamboo was put in and they deteriorated much more overnight in the tank. We took it out, cut off the mushy roots and tried to get it to grow new roots in a cup. Still have it but pretty sad plant that has yet to re root itself much. Good idea to get it out if there is any question about its health.

#42 ·
I'm sure my bamboo has no effect on the shrimps...

But everyone has different circumstances. I've even seen people grow java fern as a house plant with household humidity.. LOL

No point arguing over who is correct. it is just recommended that you don't use lucky bamboo because it might be unhealthy and poisonous (but heck, it might not be, like in my case). key word? recommended.

But if it does well in your tank it can acts as a good ammonia sink:)

it's just like medicating fish, it's at that dire "medicate or die" moment. use medicine? but the meds contains a known carcinogen? use or not?

Ultimately it's the individual's choice :)

let's all be nice and talk about our own practices.
but don't force opinions on anyone ok?

Choclate, it's better to say, "I recommend that you keep the bamboo leaves above water, because it might rot if you submerge the entire plant"

and so what if no one agrees with you? listen to what they have to say too. haha.

that's the way to keep this place friendly. otherwise people will get very angry at you because you keep trying to tell them that they are wrong :p

#43 ·
Lucky bamboo is perfectly safe unless your dumb enough to eat it there are too many stories of it working great and few of not working.

#45 ·
Oh sorry also that common chrismas plants everyone has at chrismas if you eat 500 leaves weigh 50 pounds and are healthy that is how much it takes ti kill you but who would do that.

#48 ·
wow, i didn't expect to start a war!!! i carefully read all the articles that were thrown back and forth, not knowing which were true and which were not. other than the fish i also own a dog and cat, both of which like to watch the fish. because i do not know which articles are true, i do not want to take my chances. i will have plants in my tank, no way around that. i liked the article about the plant box, i might do that to plants that im not scared will kill the fish, or other pets. i thank everyone for the enlightening, and kind of funny, thread. this has been tremendouse help!

#51 ·
Sorry meant to say safe to fish my neighbors have three cats and an aspauagus fern thats leaves are like three inches off the floor I have a dog I am more worried about my dog finding a mother of million baby on the floor and eating it than lucky bamboo.

#52 ·
"But if her cats and dogs might chew on it, it's not safe any more :)
we dont want her pets poisoned right? "

I am most certainly not a her. lol! I saw that and went "???? WTH ????" not mad or anything, just trown off to look at the messages knowing there adressed to me and seeing that. lol!

#53 ·
i think i said this... i liked the plant box idea choclate! (twas amongst the numerous articles attempting to prove each other to be idiots and that yall are right). i will give that a try as well as some floating plants (hornwort?). i want to take apart a moss ball and watch it make a carpet, told that it can. what do you guys think of that idea? the plant box (going to be in the back where only the cat can jump) will hold the bamboo. i have already scooted the heavy tank over 2" to discourage Rico ,the cat, from jumping.

#55 ·
Wait, I thought that the bamboo plants were like, 50% safe? o_O

They can't be perfectly safe if they can still possibly affect the fish.
Even if, let's say 2 people don't experience problems with the bamboo, it's outweight by the 100's that do.
I still say that the bamboo can be harmful if not used/taken care of correctly.

#57 ·
I'm sorry, but I myself am not telling people that lucky bamboo is safe only when not eaten. Especially since it can be proved that some fish and shrimp DO die if the plant rots, dies, or when the top gets wet.

#59 ·
What I'm trying to get at Chocolate, is that before you jump and say something is completely safe, let them know that A. It is possible it can kill your fish if you put the top of the bamboo in the water. B. It dies and dissovles.

When you go to the doctor, he gives you a reccomended dose of something, right? And there are warning signs on the medicine about overdosing, right? And it gives you a list of side effects right? And it also gives you step by step on what to do if you have a certain sympton already?

You can't just say that something is only harmful when it's eating when there are other negative effects of the bamboo. Because what if someone has a bamboo issue which is causing the death of a fish, and the result was the bamboo?

Well, you can't just say it wasn't it because the fish didn't eat it :/

I think that if you look at the whole picture sometimes, you can be a little mroe helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.