Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Owner

801 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Flashygrrl 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone. I am a new betta fish owner and had a few questions I was hoping could be answered.

First of all I have two bettas. They both reside in 2 gallon fishbowls that I change weekly and add water conditioner to every couple days. I leave the bowls in the sunlight during the day and the water temp peaks at about 74 degrees during the day and drops to about 66-68 degrees during the night. Is this an acceptable betta climate, or should I buy a water heater for the winter months?

Second, I think one of my fish may be developing fin rot. He's active and hasn't lost his appetite, but I've noticed a few black spots on the tips of his fins, although the others are white tipped. Also, he seems to be changing colors back to the green color he was when I originally bought him from the red he is now. Is this a bad sign, or do bettas change fin color over time? (Or am I altogether overly paranoid?)

Thirdly, do they have any response to a Circadian rhythm or are their brains to small to distinguish what times of day and night day and night should be?

#2 ·
hello and welcome,
well in my honest opinion to begin with the bowls are too small,
you need bigger,they need to be filtered,and heated at a constant tempertaure,you fish will know the times of day and night,
along with atmospheric conditions.
that's about all i can help with at the moment,hopefully
other members will pop in here to help.

#4 ·
hi
would it be possible to give them 5gllns each ?
or a possible larger tank with a devider in it, ?
it just makes living conditions more stable,if they are filtered and heated
at a steady rate.
:)

#5 ·
Plus having a 10 allows you to get it set up, let it cycle and then put fish in, and then when it comes to water change time guess what? It's probably less work than you have to do to change the water (25% weekly) and probably a lot less stress on them too :) Also, you don't want to park the tank in the sun. That's asking for algae.

Welcome to the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.