Betta Fish Forum banner

10 gallon project

2K views 60 replies 7 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank this weekend.

It will have
A. Jingles or Sir Bubbles
B. 4 pygmy cories
C. Some non floating tanks
D. Sand substrate

I'm getting it all done this weekend, I'll post pics as I go on.
I might end up.buying the cories today and QT them until then :)

#30 ·
Yeah I would wait til tomorrow night. Just to make sure the water has been fully dechlorinated and what not. I would also test the water again tomorrow to make sure the levels are good. Maybe pm OFL to make sure. I'm still learning about all this as well so would hate to tell you the wrong thing.

#31 ·
ahh no worries :)
I can wait til tomorrow. I just feel bad because of my cories :/ I wish I had a bigger tank, but I needed to QT them before mixing them with one of my bettas.

#32 ·
Hm... Since you're doing a fish-in cycle, maybe you should add 2 Cories for now. 2 is a pair, they have company with each other. They should be fine for a week. Add them 1st and then Bubbles and Jingo! <- (Commercial xD) next. You know, territorial crap. :p Let the 2 Cories and Bettas be there for a week or so and then add the other 2. Good Luck!!

#33 ·
If I pick a pair, I'm definitely picking at least 2 of the males or 2 of the females xD Not one of each.

#37 ·
So there was a bit of a problem with the corie's tankso they ALL got put in. I gave the cories a few hours to adjust.

I then procceeded to go to my bettas and noticed Squirt has a fungus like thing on his tail. Soo he's going to be treated soon. I took Bubs out, hoping he wouldn't be affected, and Lucky will come out soon too (once Bubs settles in) I'm going to put dissovled AQ salt in the water and hope it helps clear out.

As of right now the cories and Bubs are in the 10 gallon, and they're all doing well. Te cories actually school with Bubs o_O

#38 ·
So ALL the Cories went in?? Lol. Oh, and maybe Squirt is just shedding his slime coat. I find some slimy stuff on Lebron's rays time to time. But it won't hurt to treat him, though.

#41 ·
Those are pgymy cories :)

And yes all 4 cories are in as well as Bubs.
I don't think its the slime coat since it was fuzzy and fluffy.
Looked like cotton balls on his fins

#43 ·
I hpoe not either. But he gets these fluffy balls quite often, I jsut do a quick change and give him some AQ salt :/

I removed the divider in the 5 gallon, and now Lucky is literally cleaning all sides of the tank xD Bub's side was messy.

But I still have these weird worms in my tank ><
I made sure to give Bubs a quick salt bath (with very little salt) just to get anything off of him before it develops.

#44 ·
Almost just lost Bubs OMG.

I used the water bottle to baffle the bottom part of the filter (the intake) and he somehow got into the ver small hole and couldn't get out. He was literally stuck against the filter, and I'm assuming was probably beginning to suffocate. I QUICKLY got him out, and now he's gulping for breath (once he was free, he practically jumped out of the water).

I don't think I'm using the filter until I get a weaker one.

Filters are exactly how I lost all my fish when I was young, and I still don't trust them.

#50 ·
those are the pygmy cories.

And I think I'm going to actually return them. Things are great, but I'm having buyers remorse and I realize that I'm not as happy as I thought I would be. I spent about $80 on this project, $80 I shouldn't have spent now that I think about it...

I don't know if I'm going to just get rid of the whole tank and set up, especially since the filter doesn't work.

I'm going to put something up on craigslist :/

#52 ·
It depends on the size of the tank and how well it's being cared for as wel as what else is in the tank. They're doing well so far with me, but one of them doesn't school with the others :/

#54 ·
that should be good. Just make sure you get sand for them. And also get enough that they can schhool together. AND watch out to make sure your betta doesn't attack them.

On a side now, I'm giving the tank a week to sell. If it doesn't sell, I'm going to keep it AND divide to put 4 bettas in there (NOT Pudge). Which means I'm going to get another betta. I'm most likely going to return the cories as well, as sad as this is :/

I don't know what tanks I'm going to be using definitely. I actually might leave Pudge at home with my sister. She's really into bettas and Pudge isn't doing too well :/ I figured that maybe she'll be able to give him a different enviornment where it's less stressful (he'll be in her room), and also there will be heating. As of right now there is not heat so the tank temp keeps dropping, and since the heater isn't adjustable, it shoots up 10 degrees in a half hour ><

Deciisons, decisions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.