Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin rot or tail-biting?

836 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ShawnBliss 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry this is the best picture I could get

I noticed it about 2 days ago and it doesn't seem to be getting any better/worse or spreading to any other parts of his fin. It's mostly in the middle part of his caudal fin. It's also important to note that's not black/brown at the tips there it's light red inbetween his fin spikes that was there when I bought him.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated, thank-you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like fin rot to me. Usually cranking up the temperature to about 82 degrees and putting in some aquarium salt does the treat for getting rid of it.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Reece.

My heater isn't adjustable, but I added a little bit of salt and put some fungus clear in there. I also ordered some tetracyline so that should be here soon if it doesn't clear up.

I've been watching it all day (3 days now) and it still hasn't gotten any worse or spread. And he's acting fine otherwise besides being a bit reluctant to eat, but I only got him 6 days ago. The only thing he'll gobble up is bloodworms, he just makes a big mess out of pellets. >_> Also, I removed the plastic plant and ceramic rock cave (which he didn't use anyways) because I suspected he might've been tearing his fins on those.

Most bettas survive this if treated properly and quickly enough right?

#4 ·
Hard to tell. Are the edges all black with fraying/shredding pieces? Or are the missing chunks in the shape of his little mouth?

It's 1 tsp of AQ salt per 1 gallon, daily 100% water changes (have to do those) for 10-14 days for fin rot. You can use the anti fungus instead of the salt.. but best not to over dose the meds.

If you see no blackness to it, if it isn't shredding/fraying then it may just be him biting himself, in which just keeping the water clean and conditioned should be enough to prevent rot. Rot doesn't happen over night, it takes a bit.. you'll see it coming. Fin biting will happen in a matter of minutes.

#5 ·
No there's no frayed/shredded pieces and the tips aren't black, there's a little bit of red inbetween his rays.

My mother is now swearing up and down that's the way his tail looked when I brought him home, I do remember it being frayed (I suspect he never had a whole smooth "spade" looking tail), better be safe then sorry though.

Still has yet to get worse/better or spread. So maybe it was just a case of tail-biting after all or could this possibly be the way he is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.