Betta Fish Forum banner

Weird film on top of tank?

737 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but I have this weird film on top of my divided 5gal tank. Is this something I should be worried about? It does seem worse on the side without the filter. It is kind of irridescent and seemed to get a little worse with a 50% water change. Is this part of the nitrogen cycle process or should I try to remove it? I do have an airstone I could put in the side without the filter if that would help?

#3 ·
Sounds like protein film. It comes from accumulated protein in the tank (from fish, plants and driftwood). No need to worry about it, as it's normal. If you dislike how it looks, you can take some paper towels and lay them on top of the water to soak it up.

#4 ·
Water movement keeps it from forming but since bettas don't like too much water movement we have to put up with the film. The bubbler might help if your betta doesn't mind it.

In my larger tanks with baffled filter the water in the back is clear while the still water in the front gets a film.

#8 ·
Good to know. I'm glad it's most likely harmless, but I might try the air stone too. My filter is on the lowest setting so there's not a whole lot of surface movement. If I turn the filter up at all my HMDT has trouble swimming. I do have a few plants in the tank which might be contributing. As long as the fish stay happy, I'm happy :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.