Betta Fish Forum banner

Future dreams - suggestions?

796 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  trilobite 
#1 ·
So, my current situation is that I have two tanks: a 5 gal with plants and RCS, and a 16gal with plants, 4 cories, RCS, an unknown number of ember tetras (I think 5? They won't let me count them) and an unknown number of Endler's Livebearers (I'm estimating 5 adults, about 6 juveniles and I do not know how many fry). Currently, I also have a 3 gal hospital tank with my female Artemis, and my male Odysseus (he is in a breeder trap, don't worry) who are both suffering the same mystery ailment. I have no hope of a cure for them, as all my past bettas have died of this.

Very shortly, we will be installing a pond (this is a drama that has been going on for literally years but is finally being realised), where my sister's comet will be joined by two shubunkins that I wish to buy. This will leave me with:

- a 23 gallon
- a 16 gallon
- a 5 gallon (though my mother wants me to shut this one down, which is fair enough)

Excluding Artemis and Odysseus from the equation, as I do not think they will be with me much longer, what would you do with these two tanks and how would you distribute my fish? MY current plan is thus:

- 23 gallon (NPT): 4 peppered cories, 4 corydoras anaeus, my Endler tribe, 8 kuhli loaches
- 16 gallon (planted): 8 ember tetras, 6 pygmy cories, a pretty male betta

What I can't decide is my centrepiece fish for the 23 gallon. Do I want to do another sorority? A single betta? A totally different fish? Do I buy from Aquabid or a pet shop? Do I rescue? Do I order from livefish.com?
I loved my last sorority, but I don't want them to eat my Endler fry again like one of my girls used to (my Endler population mysteriously exploded after her death).

Also, how should I aquascape my 16 gallon? It's 18 inches tall and only 14.5 inches wide/deep, so I'm a tad limited. At the moment, it is absolutely packed with plants, and I'd like something a little more open, but still something to make happy fish. Maybe a blackwater setup? I don't know.

The big question is, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Feel free to disregard my wishes and requirements and say what you would do if someone gave you those tanks, empty and for free. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Livefish has hardly any good fish and it is expensive. Have you thought about apistogramma? Beautiful fish, and they thrive in soft water and a blackwater set-up.

Jodi-Lea at Fishchicks usually sells pairs of them and her fish IMO are some of the healthiest in Australia. Had fish from her spawn the same day they arrived from interstate. Plus she stocks a lot of oddballs that no one else does.

If I didn't have wild bettas I would definitely have apistogramma. It's only that I don't have enough tank space that I don't have a pair or two already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.